Veteran AFL journalist Caroline Wilson has described it it felt like Covid-19 had 'taken control' of her body after she and her husband contracted the virus on a recent trip to Europe.
Wilson and her husband, former Channel 7 reporter Brendan Donohoe, travelled to Amsterdam following the AFL Grand Final in September to be with their daughter following the birth of her first child.
'NEVER GO AWAY': Dustin Martin dogged by persistent AFL rumours
'EVERYTHING I'VE GOT': AFL great's intensive care Covid battle
With vaccination rates finally trending in the right direction and much of Europe also well advanced in their own vaccine ta'.rgets, Wilson said the couple hadn't felt they were at major risk from the virus.
However, the pandemic has continued to linger across Europe, with a surge of new cases reported across multiple countries soon after Wilson's arrival in the Netherlands.
While she said the couple were fortunate enough to not have to go to hospital because of their symptoms, Wilson said it had been an experience she wouldn't wish on anyone.
She told The Age she experienced the full range of coronavirus symptoms, ranging from the typical fever and muscle pains to constant headaches, loss of smell, and dehydration.
“You sort of felt like the virus had taken control of your body. I was hopeful that if I ever did get it, that it would be pretty mild because I’ve been vaccinated, but it wasn’t to be,” she said.
“I sort of thought maybe I would get it and not even know about it. The minute we started to feel crook, I thought, ‘Oh, dear’.
“It really is not something I would recommend for anyone. Luckily, we didn’t have to go to hospital because, in terms of breathing, we never got to the point where we had respiratory problems.”
The World Health Organisation has recently warned much greater efforts will be required across Europe to continue to bring the pandemic under control, however some announcements have been met with protests.
Travel restrictions across the world are being reviewed as more information comes to light about the emerging new strain of the coronavirus, which has been designated 'Omicron'.
Troubled AFL player Jordan De Goey lands back in Australia
AFL star Jordan De Goey has arrived back in Australia after months away in the United States as the Collingwood dynamo prepares to face court via video link.
The 25-year-old landed at Sydney airport on Tuesday morning with his Magpies career in the balance.
De Goey was stood by Collingwood last month after a night out in New York resulted in him charged with assault.
He is due to face court on December 8, which he will be able to attend virtually.
An earlier charge of forcible touching was dropped only days after the alleged incident at a Halloween-themed party at PHD Rooftop Lounge on October 30.
De Goey travelled to the US during the off-season to undergo an intensive fitness program at the W Training Facility in California in an attempt to capitalise on an outstanding end to the 2021 AFL season.
He was only able to leave Australia under a permit due to his sponsorship and work arrangements with Monster Energy.
De Goey has played 118 games and kicked 155 goals for Collingwood after debuting in 2015.
He finished fourth in the club's best-and-fairest award this year, capturing close to career-best form in the second-half of the campaign.
Collingwood are unsure about sticking with De Goey, no matter what happens when he faces court.
"It's a concern that he's found himself in a situation, which in the best scenario is he's been in New York and got into a bar fight that seen him arrested, regardless of what happens with the court case," Magpies football boss Graham Wright told 3AW last week.
"We're really disappointed in it ... until we get face-to-face with him and see where the court case goes, we're in that holding pattern."
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.