Advertisement

'Absolutely spewing': Why victorious Aussie missed wild Katy Perry moment

By almost any measure, the women’s T20 World Cup was a raging success.

A record crowd packed into the MCG to witness Australia comprehensively dismantle India, while popstar Katy Perry stole the show as the post-match entertainment.

'DISGRACEFUL': Channel Nine slammed over World Cup 'embarrassment'

‘DROPPED THE WORLD CUP’: Huge mistakes haunt India against ruthless Aussies

The US star brought the victorious Australian team on stage to celebrate with her and her troupe of dancing cricket bats - but there was a notable absentee.

Vice-captain Rachel Haynes missed the celebration, after being hauled away for a mandatory drug test immediately after winning Australia’s fifth T20 World Cup.

Speaking on SEN Radio on Monday morning, Haynes said she was gutted to have missed the iconic moment.

“I am absolutely spewing about it because I had to do a drugs test,” she said.

Katy Perry is pictured on stage with the Australian cricket team team after their victory in the ICC Women's T20 Cricket World Cup.
Katy Perry performs on stage with the Australian team after their victory in the ICC Women's T20 Cricket World Cup Final match against India. (Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)

“The rest of my teammates got up on stage.

“I saw the photos and the doctor came in and said, ‘How good was it getting up and stage?’ and I said, ‘Are you kidding me?’

“I think the girls had a great time and it was awesome that she (Perry) allowed them to go up.”

Aussies dominate India in T20 Final

Alyssa Healy and Beth Mooney powered the hosts to 4-184 - the best total in a Twenty20 World Cup final (men's or women's) - after captain Meg Lanning opted to bat first.

Australia's monumental total smashed the previous record of 161 set by the West Indies men's team in the 2016 final against England.

To pull off an unlikely victory, India needed to produce the second-highest successful chase in WT20I history but were bowled out for 99.

Their hopes of an unlikely win coudn't have started much worse with star teen batter Shafali Verma caught by wicketkeeper Healy off Megan Schutt (4-18) in the first over.

A smiling and relaxed Healy made the big stage her own by hitting a 12th WT20I fifty, with her fearless 75 from 39 balls including five long sixes.

Healy's 30-ball fifty was the fastest in a T20 final, by a man or a woman.

But player of the tournament Mooney's composed unbeaten 78 was equally as important as she carried her bat to finish with the highest individual score in a T20 final.

WITH AAP