Advertisement

'What on earth': Cricket fans stunned by 'shocking' David Warner act

David Warner (pictured right) looking frustrated after his wicket and (pictured left) the replay of his dismissal.
David Warner (pictured right) opted not to review his dismissal despite clear evidence he didn't hit the ball (pictured left). (Images: Twitter/Getty Images)

David Warner has stunned fans after opting not to review his dismissal, despite overwhelming evidence he wasn't out during Australia's remarkable victory over Pakistan in the T20 World Cup semi-final.

Australia are one win away from their maiden T20 World Cup title after Matthew Wade and Marcus Stoinis pulled off the great escape on Thursday night when victory looked unlikely.

'STILL SITTING THERE': Cricket fans in frenzy over World Cup photo

'DON'T LIKE HIM': Aussie cricketer's swipe at West Australian premier

In a dramatic semi-final in Dubai, Australia's asking rate went to beyond 12 an over before Wade smashed three-straight sixes to win it with six balls to spare.

It was enough to set up a Sunday night decider against New Zealand, in a repeat of the 2015 ODI final.

However, fans were still left shaking their head after Aussie top-scorer Warner trudged off the field when he was caught behind.

Shadab Khan, who had already dismissed Steve Smith and Mitchell Marsh, was brought back on to make inroads into the Aussie order.

Khan tossed a wide ball down, which prompted Warner to lash out.

The bowler and keeper then jumped up to celebrate to claim a caught behind.

Warner was given out and walked off the field, leaving the Aussies reeling.

But, replays showed Warner was quite some distance away from the ball.

Snicko also showed no spike.

Fans stunned after David Warner dismissal

Former South African fast bowler Dale Steyn was taken aback at the dismissal during commentary.

The cricket legend said Warner may have been confused and didn't want to waste a review.

“I don’t quite know what to say,” he said.

“Sometimes there’s a bit of a click in the bat handle ... It’s a long way (away from the bat). You can see straight away both the bowler and keeper went straight up.

“Sometimes you can get those little creaks in the handle, that could have been the case. Warner may not have felt it but heard something himself.”

Regardless, Warner's no review had fans scratching their head.

Fortunately, Australia recovered due to a stunning Wade innings.

Dropped by Haris Rauf with 20 needed from 10, Wade hit the next three balls into the stands to seal the match with six balls to spare.

He ramped Shaheen twice and flicked him over the legside once in a brutal 147 seconds that ended the previously unbeaten Pakistan's tournament.

"Marcus was really confident we would get them, but I was a little unsure when I went out there," Wade said.

"The rate was getting up. But he reassured me he would find the boundary enough to get it deep."

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.