Advertisement

Mark Waugh calls out Aaron Finch over T20 World Cup 'excuse'

Mark Waugh and Aaron Finch, pictured here at the T20 World Cup.
Mark Waugh has ripped Aaron Finch and the Aussies after their loss to New Zealand at the T20 World Cup. Image: Getty

Mark Waugh has called out Aaron Finch after the Aussie captain said his team were 'tired' before their first-up loss to New Zealand at the T20 World Cup.

Saturday night's 89-run loss to the Black Caps marked the worst possible start for Australia, who are now facing six must-win games to defend their title.

'THIS IS WRONG': Cricket world in uproar over World Cup 'disgrace'

'POOR FORM': Ravi Ashwin caught in 'cheating' storm at World Cup

Australia's net run-rate also copped a hammering in the loss, meaning it is possible they could go through the rest of the group stage unbeaten but still miss out on making the finals.

Before the game, Finch said the Aussies were feeling “tired” after playing five white ball series leading up to the World Cup, including one in India.

“You can look for any excuse you want but that shouldn’t be a factor," Aussie great Waugh told Fox Sports on Monday.

“These guys are fit cricketers, they travel the year-round. I mean, the preparation probably wasn’t ideal, travelling around, but a lot of players rested, (they were) travelling business class. They’re well looked after, they’re well pampered, so I just don’t see that as an excuse.

“It’s a World Cup. If you’re not ready to go at a World Cup you’re never going to be, so I think fatigue is just an excuse.

“I don’t think the players really believe that’s a factor. I don’t think fatigue had anything to do with it, I just think on the day we didn’t play to our ability and New Zealand took the game by the scruff of the neck.”

Finch has urged his battered side to be "ultra-positive, ultra-aggressive" when they face Sri Lanka on Tuesday.

Saturday's loss was their first on home soil against New Zealand in any format since 2011, and their second-biggest defeat ever at home (by runs).

"The fact that we've lost one game, yes, it's a heavy loss and it hurts our chances, no doubt. We can't dwell on that, we can't change it," said Finch.

"All we can do is concentrate on the next game and prepare really well for that against Sri Lanka (on Tuesday) and see how we go.

"We've taken the fate out of our own hands, I think to a point. We need to be ultra-positive, ultra-aggressive, and I'm sure that we'll all do that."

Aaron Finch, pictured here during Australia's loss to New Zealand at the T20 World Cup.
Aaron Finch looks on during Australia's loss to New Zealand at the T20 World Cup. (Photo by Mark Metcalfe-ICC/ICC via Getty Images,) (Mark Metcalfe-ICC via Getty Images)

Aussies adamant World Cup hopes aren't over

Australia coach Andrew McDonald said the loss gives his side clarity about the job at hand, with the Aussies having also recovered from an early loss to England to make last year's finals.

"We've been here before. I think most teams have been here before," McDonald said.

"First and foremost is not to look too far ahead. Sri Lanka is our next opponent in Perth. That is our next focus.

"What will happen with net run-rates and that will transpire across the tournament.

"Great clarity comes out of the disappointment of tonight. Once you get that clarity, it's pretty simple ... The boys are sitting in there pretty clear on what happens."

Andrew McDonald, pictured here speaking to players during Australia's clash with New Zealand at the T20 World Cup.
Andrew McDonald speaks to players during Australia's clash with New Zealand at the T20 World Cup. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images) (Mark Kolbe via Getty Images)

Mitch Marsh quipped to teammates that Australia were at their best with their backs to the wall.

"If we can somehow start playing good cricket again and win those four games, then we give ourselves a chance," Adam Zampa said.

"It's just about playing good cricket. We weren't at our best going into the World Cup.

"We gave ourselves a few reasons. And then you pump yourself up for a World Cup and start like that, it is a bit flattening.

"But we have four games to turn that around."

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.