Advertisement

David Warner under fire over 'horrible' scenes at T20 World Cup

David Warner (pictured left) angry and (pictured right) Warner walking off the field.
David Warner (pictured) has endured a tough T20 World Cup having been dismissed for just three runs against Ireland. (Getty Images)

David Warner has come under fire during the T20 World Cup after failing to surpass 10 runs again against Ireland as Australia battle to reach the knockout stages.

Australia comfortably defeated a stoic Ireland outfit on Monday night at the Gabba having bowled them out for 137 following a Mitchell Starc blitz.

'SAD TO HEAR': Cricket world reacts to news about Wasim Akram

'NEVER SEEN THAT': Cricket fans in disbelief over World Cup drama

Finch finally fired blasting 63 off 44 balls to help lift Australia to to 5-179 after they were sent in to bat by Ireland.

There was some concern over the Australian captain after he suffered a hamstring injury and went off the field.

However, another concern is the form of fellow opener Warner.

The veteran was the ICC player of the tournament at the 2021 T20 World Cup and entered the tournament under little scrutiny.

But, Warner only scored three runs against Ireland and has amassed just 19 runs across three innings.

And his dismissal against Ireland would have left the veteran fuming after a poor shot from a mediocre Barry McCarthy delivery.

His form before the match even prompted Aussie great Shane Watson to suggest Warner was feeling the pressure.

“I’ve sensed that,” Watson said to Adam Gilchrist when asked about whether Warner could be feeling the pressure.

“Even the times when he’s got out in the first two games you can feel that he’s a little bit under pressure because he needs to really take the game on, even if it’s not the right time for him to do it.”

David Warner (pictured) walks off the field after his dismissal.
David Warner (pictured) was dismissed for just three runs against Ireland. (Photo by PATRICK HAMILTON/AFP via Getty Images) (PATRICK HAMILTON via Getty Images)

Cricket world questions David Warner spot

Watson wasn't the only one that had recognised Warner's struggles so early in the tournament.

Cricket fans were expecting Warner to fire against Ireland in a must-win game for Australia.

However, they were left pondering whether Warner's struggles will continue in the T20 World Cup.

Warner did appear to take over captaincy duties when Finch went off injured.

While he may have been overlooked for the captaincy role when Finch steps away from the short-format game, Warner did help take charge when the opener went off with the hamstring injury.

Regardless, Finch's injury does cause concern with the opener returning to form just when Australia needed quick runs at the beginning of an innings.

The Aussie captain had left for the dressing room by the end of the seventh over to get treatment for an injury he appeared to aggravate after sustaining it while batting.

"It is a little hammie twinge I think," Finch said while receiving the man of the match award.

"I will get scanned tomorrow. Unfortunately I have a history of them so we will see how it goes. It doesn't feel too bad but generally overnight they can stiffen up.

"I am very hopeful (of playing Afghanistan on Friday)."

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.