Advertisement

$8.3 billion truth emerges after India's World Cup disaster

Virat Kohli, pictured here taling to teammate Jasprit Bumrah during India's clash with Namibia.
Virat Kohli talks to teammate Jasprit Bumrah during India's clash with Namibia. (Photo by AAMIR QURESHI/AFP via Getty Images) (AFP via Getty Images)

The rescheduling of the IPL is being blamed for India's failure to make the T20 World Cup semi-finals.

Virat Kohli ended his stint as India's T20 captain on a winning note on Monday after India beat Namibia by nine wickets.

'HEARTBREAKING': T20 World Cup rocked by devastating tragedy

'SO SCARY': Cricket world rocked by frightening T20 World Cup incident

However, with the team already eliminated following wins for New Zealand and Pakistan on Sunday, Monday's match was a dead rubber.

Kohli's team came into the tournament as red-hot favourites, but they left their future in other teams' hands after big losses to rivals Pakistan and the Kiwis.

India thrashed Afghanistan and Scotland but it was all too late and they were out of the tournament even before their final game against Namibia.

The post-mortem has already started into how India could possibly miss out on a spot in the semi-finals given the nation's pedigree in the shortest format.

And the Indian Premier League - valued at $8.3 billion - has come under the spotlight.

India's World Cup players regrouped as a national side in the United Arab Emirates just two days after the IPL ended on October 15 in Dubai.

A tournament that was supposed to provide insight and a good tune-up ahead of T20's showpiece event seems to have backfired as talk of bubble fatigue crept in.

Bumrah said "sometimes you need a break" after their loss to New Zealand.

Bowling coach Bharat Arun said a short break between the IPL and the World Cup would have been good for the fast bowlers.

"Definitely being on the road for six months is a huge ask...And I think that takes a huge toll," he said.

Social media was also abuzz with #banIPL hashtags after India's crushing defeats.

Virat Kohli bows out as India's T20 captain

Kohli's bid to lead the inaugural champions to their second T20 World Cup title was effectively over after the comprehensive defeats by Pakistan and New Zealand, who are the semi-final qualifiers from Group II.

Spin duo Ravindra Jadeja and Ravichandran Ashwin split six wickets to restrict debutants Namibia to 8-132 after being inserted at the Dubai International Stadium.

Rohit Sharma (56) and KL Rahul (54 not out) smashed brisk fifties as India prevailed in the 16th over.

"It's been an honour, but things have to be seen in the right perspective," Kohli said after the consolation win.

"I thought this was the right time for me to manage my workload," added Kohli, who also leads India in Tests and ODIs, as well as being the team's batting mainstay.

India players, pictured here celebrating their win over Namibia.
India players celebrate their win over Namibia. (Photo by AAMIR QURESHI/AFP via Getty Images) (AFP via Getty Images)

"It's been six-seven years of intense cricket. Every time you take the field, it takes a lot out of you," he said.

"We were not brave enough in the first two games, we suffered because of that.

"We knew that afterwards it would be complicated for us to go through."

It was also the last match for head coach Ravi Shastri, who will be succeeded by former test stalwart Rahul Dravid.

"When I took this job, I said in my mind that I want to make a difference. And I think I have," Shastri said before the match.

"I think in Rahul Dravid they've got a guy who has inherited a great team and with his stature and experience, it can only raise the bar."

with agencies

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.