- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Two months after he was abducted from a Sydney street at gunpoint, former Australian cricketer Stuart MacGill has shed light on the terrifying ordeal.
The renowned spin bowler spoke to Channel Nine's A Current Affair about a situation "that he couldn't have done much about".
'ABSOLUTE SHAMBLES': Fresh outrage over Test cricket 'disgrace'
MacGill has said he was abducted at gunpoint off a Cremorne street and driven dozens of kilometres to Bringelly in Sydney's southwest.
"I was in a situation that is foreign to me and I was physically and mentally intimidated," MacGill said on the program.
The 50-year-old, who played 44 Test matches for Australia and claimed 208 wickets, said it took him a significant amount of time to be able to report the crime, for which four men are now facing charges.
MacGill hid out in a Sydney hotel for a week after the alleged kidnapping, fearing reprisals.
"I wasn't thinking particularly clearly in those first couple of days," he told A Current Affair.
"I just didn't really know don't what was going to happen, that's all.
"I sort of talk to myself all the time... I was just running different scenarios through in my head.
"I don't really know whether or not I'm prepared to talk about that sort of thing at the moment, to be honest."
Strikeforce detectives are still investigating and are now keen to speak to at least two more potential suspects.
Detective Superintendent Andrew Koutsoufis at the Robbery and Serious Crime Squad, told A Current Affair that "what we allege he's gone through is just horrific circumstances."
"I feel for him and his family now that it's all dragged out into the media as well," Det Supt Koutsoufis said.
"There is nothing to suggest he's connected in any other way other than introducing the two people involved in the matter," he told the program.
MacGill told the program: "I know I've done nothing wrong."
"We consider ourselves to be the innocent parties in this one ... if people choose to think something contrary to what's been presented by both myself and the police then that's up to them," he said.
Shock details about Stuart MacGill's link to alleged kidnappers
One of the men who allegedly kidnapped the former cricketer from a street corner in the north shore suburb of Cremorne at roughly 8pm on April 14 is believed to have been known to MacGill.
MacGill was allegedly confronted by Marino Sotiropoulos, who according to The Age and the Sydney Morning Herald is the brother of MacGill's partner Maria O’Meagher, before a further two men arrived and forced him into a car.
Police said he was then allegedly driven more than 60 kilometres to Bringelly in Sydney's south-west, where he was threatened with a gun and assaulted.
The men then allegedly drove him to Belmore, roughly 40 kilometres away from the Bringelly property, where he was released.
There is no suggestion MacGill's partner had any involvement in the alleged abduction.
The former Test cricketer did not report the alleged attack until a week afterwards, which NSW Police's Detective Acting Superintendent Anthony Holton attributed to MacGill's justifiable fear after the alleged attack.
“It is only an hour that he was held, but it would have been a horribly frightful hour to endure through and subsequent to that, the ongoing trauma,” he said.
Detective Holton added that MacGill was 'quite scared about going to police at all' after the alleged abduction.
Asked by a reporter if MacGill had been 'betrayed by someone he knows', Detective Holton said the alleged attack is believed to have been perpetrated by someone he had a 'personal relationship' with.
Watch 'Mind Games', the new series from Yahoo Sport Australia exploring the often brutal mental toil elite athletes go through in pursuit of greatness:
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.