Warner and Smith return to scene of ball-tampering scandal

David Warner is bracing for a hostile reception during Australia's limited-overs tour of South Africa, when he and Steve Smith will return to the scene of their Cape Town nightmare.

Australia depart later this week for South Africa, where they will face the hosts in three Twenty20s and three ODIs.

‘WHAT HOPE HAVE I GOT’: Michael Clarke's devastating divorce 'fear'

The series starts on February 21, while a T20 on February 26 will mark the tourists' first match in Newlands since the 2018 sandpaper scandal.

Warner and Smith were booed and jeered throughout England during last year's Ashes and World Cup, with the expectation being they will soon receive similar treatment.

David Warner (pictured left) and Steve Smith (pictured right) after batting in an ODI. (Getty Images)

"For me personally, it won't be hard at all," Warner told Sydney radio 2GB.

"Obviously, it's going to be very hostile. I copped it in England; I actually enjoyed that and played along with it.

"They're a great bunch of people who come along and they're great supporters of the game.

"Hopefully, we're showed some respect when we go over to Africa and the things that happen in the past stay there."

England’s spiteful tour of SA

England's recent tour of South Africa was loaded with on-field scraps and spite.

Stuart Broad, Ben Stokes, Jos Buttler, Kagiso Rabada and Vernon Philander were all charged for breaching the sport's code of conduct.

Stokes apologised after swearing at a fan in Johannesburg, claiming he had been "subjected to repeated abuse from the crowd".

"Obviously, they had a heated series against England as well, so it's going to be testing when you get there," Warner said.

"It's not a Test match series and it's a quick turnaround with the T20s and one-dayers. You don't really have any time to worry about anything or listen to anything."

POSouth Africa bowler Kagiso Rabada celebrates after bowling England batsman Joe Root during Day One of the Third Test between England and South Africa at St George's Park on January 16, 2020 in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. (Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images)

Warner, having opted against a BBL comeback after returning from Australia's ODI tour of India last month, feels refreshed.

The former vice-captain suggested the decision to bypass the Big Bash reflected one of many lessons he learned during a year-long suspension.

"Leading into that South Africa tour, we played a lot of cricket. I actually put my hand up to go to New Zealand and captain the (T20) team, (while) a couple of other guys had a break and guys went to South Africa earlier," Warner recalled.

"It's about putting your hand up and knowing how much cricket you've actually played.

"I just felt like I didn't need to play the Big Bash.

"It was about having a rest. That was more important for me and I feel better for it now, having had a 15-20 day break."

Warner, aged 33, admitted it was getting harder to be a three-format player but "Test cricket will always be the priority".