Scottie Scheffler timeline: Everything we know about the World No. 1 golfer's arrest, return to play at PGA Championship

Scottie Scheffler had a whirlwind morning at Valhalla ahead of his second round

World No. 1 player Scottie Scheffler was arrested early Friday morning following an incident with an officer outside Valhalla Golf Club in Louisville, Ky., site of the PGA Championship. Scheffler was not involved in a separate traffic incident outside Valhalla that ended in a pedestrian fatality.

Scheffler has been charged with second-degree assault of a police officer, criminal mischief in the third degree, reckless driving and disregarding signals from officers directing traffic. The charges include two misdemeanors, one violation and one felony (second-degree assault of a police officer).

Here's a rough timeline of Friday's events:

6:18 a.m. ET: The PGA Championship announces that Round 2 of the tournament will be delayed due to an accident near the course.

6:35 a.m. ET: ESPN's Jeff Darlington reports Scheffler has been detained by police after a "misunderstanding with traffic flow" outside of Valhalla Golf Club.

6:55 a.m. ET: Images emerge of Scheffler being detained by police.

8:35 a.m. ET: Scheffler is charged with second-degree assault of a police officer, criminal mischief in the third degree, reckless driving and disregarding signals from officers directing traffic. The charges include two misdemeanors, one violation and one felony (second-degree assault of a police officer).

Of interest: While in his cell, Scheffler began his warmup routine, hoping that he still had a chance to make his tee time which, he found out watching a TV turned to ESPN, had been pushed back to 10:08 a.m.

8:35 a.m. ET: After being delayed one hour, 20 minutes, Round 2 of the PGA Championship begins.

8:43 a.m. ET: ESPN reports Scheffler has been released from police custody.

9:05 a.m. ET: Scheffler's lawyer, Steve Romines, speaks in Louisville after Scheffler's release.

9:17 a.m. ET: Scheffler arrives at Valhalla Golf Club following his arrest.

9:38 a.m. ET: Scheffler arrives at the driving range to warm up.

9:40 a.m. ET: PGA of America releases a statement on X on the pedestrian fatality outside Valhalla Golf Club.

"This morning we were devastated to learn that a worker with one of our vendors was tragically struck and killed by a shuttle bus outside Valhalla Golf Club. This is heartbreaking to all of us involved with the PGA Championship. We extend our sincere condolences to their family and loved ones."

9:49 a.m. ET: Through his Instagram account, Scheffler, who was on the driving range warming up when the statement was released, spoke publicly for the first time since his arrest.

"This morning, I was proceeding as directed by police officers. It was a very chaotic situation, understandably so considering the tragic accident that had occurred earlier, and there was a big misunderstanding of what I thought I was being asked to do. I never intended to disregard any of the instructions. I'm hopeful to put this to the side and focus on golf today.

"Of course, all of us involved in the tournament express our deepest sympathies to the family of the man that passed away in the earlier accident this morning. It truly puts everything in perspective"

10:13 a.m. ET: Scheffler tees off for the second round of the PGA Championship and birdies his first hole.

Scheffler was seen smiling and laughing with his caddie and group, too, as he received chants from fans while walking to the second tee.

10:14 a.m. ET: The police report says Scheffler "refused to comply" with Detective Bryan Gillis' instructions, accelerating his car forward and "dragging Detective Gillis to the ground." Gillis was transported to a hospital after suffering "pain, swelling, and abrasions to his left wrist and knee."

11:06 a.m. ET: Scheffler's attorney releases a statement:

"In the early hours of the morning in advance of his tee time Scottie was going to the course to begin his pre round preparation. Due to the combination of event traffic and a traffic fatality in the area it was a very chaotic situation He was proceeding as directed by another traffic officer and driving a marked player’s vehicle with credentials visible. In the confusion, Scottie is alleged to have disregarded a different officer’s traffic signals resulting in these charges. Multiple eyewitnesses have confirmed that he did not do anything wrong but was simply proceeding as directed. He stopped immediately upon being directed to and never at any point assaulted any officer with his vehicle. We will litigate this matter as needed and he will be completely exonerated."

Of interest: Three separate Kentucky attorneys told Yahoo Sports they highly doubt Scheffler will end up being tried on the felony count.

“Is he going to be convicted of the felony?” Russ Baldani, senior partner in the Baldani Law Group of Lexington, said. “Probably about a zero percent chance.”

Read that story here.

John Mills was 69, working in retirement, when he was struck by a vehicle and killed while working security at the PGA Championship at Valhalla Golf Club. (Courtesy of Mills family)
John Mills was 69, working in retirement, when he was struck by a vehicle and killed while working security at the PGA Championship at Valhalla Golf Club. (Courtesy of Mills family)

1:47 p.m. ET: The man who was struck and killed outside Valhalla Golf Club Friday morning was identified as John Mills, an employee of a vendor at the PGA Championship. PGA of American released the following statement:

"Our primary concern today remains with the family of John Mills, who lost his life in a tragic accident early this morning while reporting to work,” the PGA of America said in a statement. “As it relates to the incident involving Scottie Scheffler, we are fully cooperating as local authorities review what took place. While the legal process plays out, questions should be directed to Scheffler’s attorney or local authorities.”

Louisville Mayor Craig Greenberg released a statement on social media saying that LMPD is investigating the incident and "we hope to have more answers soon."

“This is a tragic morning and our thoughts are with the family of the individual lost — may their memory be a blessing. Unfortunately a shuttle bus struck this individual while walking, resulting in their death. LMPD is investigating what took place and we hope to have more answers soon. We are also working to provide counseling services to those PGA volunteers who were on the bus during this incident.”

Our Jay Busbee has more on the death of the 69-year-old Mills.

3:31 p.m. ET: Scheffler finished the second round of the PGA Championship in contention for the lead, shooting 5-under 66. He carded six birdies to get to 9-under on the tournament, just two strokes behind clubhouse leader Collin Morikawa.

Scheffler was dialed in from the start, carding a birdie on his very first hole. He would go on to cut stroke after stroke off the advantage of first-round leader Xander Schauffele, finally catching Schauffele’s -9 mark at his 17th hole.

3:40 p.m. ET: Scheffler makes his first public comments at his post-round press conference since his statement Friday morning. He began by expressing his sympathy to the family of the man who was killed Friday morning, John Mills.

"One day he's heading to the golf course to watch a tournament," Scheffler said, "a few moments later he's trying to cross the street, and now he's no longer with us. I can't imagine what they're going through. My heart — I feel for them."

Scheffler said he couldn't comment on the specifics of the incident he was involved in Friday morning, referring to it as a "misunderstanding" and saying "my situation will be handled." But he did offer some insight into how his morning transpired.

"I feel like my head's still spinning," he said. "I can't really explain what happened this morning. I did spend some time stretching in a jail cell, that was a first for me. That was part of my warm-up, I was just sitting there waiting and I started going through my warm-up. I felt like there was a chance I may be able to still come out here and play. I started going through my routine and tried to get my heart rate down as much as I could today but like I said, I still feel like my head's spinning a little bit. But yeah, I was fortunate to make it back out and play some golf today."

Scheffler said that while he was in the holding cell, he was able to see a television playing ESPN's "Get Up," as the hosts discussed his arrest. He could see that the round was delayed, and hoped he'd still be able to make his tee time. Still, Scheffler said he was "rattled."

"I was never angry," he said. "I was just in shock, and I think my body was just — I was shaking the whole time. I was shaking for like an hour. It was definitely a new feeling for me."

Scheffler seemed ready to put the incident behind him (as much as that will be possible) and focus on his play.

"It was nice to be able to get inside the ropes and do what I love to do," he said. "I love competing out here on tour, I love playing in major championships. I've kept myself in the tournament now with a pretty chaotic day, so I'm going to go from here and focus on getting some rest and recovery and get ready for a grind the last two days, and we'll see how the leaderboard shakes out, but hopefully I won't be too far back going into tomorrow."