Spectator allegedly 'king hits' referee after grand final loss

·Sports Reporter
·1-min read
A spectator (pictured left) being held down by police and (pictured right) being restrained while officials leave the field.
A spectator was restrained and arrested by police after allegedly hitting the referee after the reserve grade final. (Images: Bar TV/@dloudon9)

A fan has been charged by police after he allegedly ran onto the field and hit the referee following his team's 30-28 loss in the Gold Coast League final.

The Tugun Seahawks lost the reserve grade final in extra time to the Currumbin Eagles in a nail-biting match.

INTERESTING: Sonny Bill's shock call on rugby league vs union debate

'NOT PROUD': SBW dishes dirt on toxic past and 'womanising' ways

'HUMILIATED': Sonny Bill Williams spills on infamous toilet tryst

But chaos erupted when a spectator ran onto the field and allegedly hit the referee, according to The Courier Mail.

A video of the incident, recorded from Channel Nine reporter Dominque London, shows a man in a Seahawks jersey being restrained and pinned to the ground by police.

Officials and trainers checked on the referee to make sure he was fine after the alleged incident.

Police charge fan at grand final

“Unfortunately, he was able to reach the match official and allegedly land a glancing blow before he was restrained by officers and escorted from the field,” Gold Coast police acting chief superintendent Rhys Wildman said.

The man will face court on November 1 and faces a charge of common assault, according to The Courier Mail.

The Seahawks' loss marked the third straight year they have lost in the grand final.

Currumbin also defeated the Seahawks in the previous final.

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting