Rolando Romero pulled from fight against Gervonta Davis after sexual assault allegations

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·Writer
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Rolando Romero was officially removed from his scheduled fight with Gervonta Davis on Dec. 5 due to accusations of sexual assault on Monday, according to ESPN’s Mike Coppinger.

Discussions of such a move had been in place between Premier Boxing Champions and Showtime for days, according to Sports Illustrated’s Chris Mannix, over the 2019 incident.

Romero confirmed on Instagram that he had been pulled from the fight, but denied the allegations made against him.

“Although the allegations against me are totally false and I will prove that through the legal system, I agree that it is in the best interest of everyone involved that I not participate in the upcoming pay-per-view event,” Romero wrote. “After clearing my name I will return to the ring as soon as possible.”

Isaac Cruz agreed to replace Romero in the Dec. 5 bout, according to ESPN’s Mike Coppinger.

Rolando Romero accused of sexual assault

Izabel Zambrano came forward on social media last month about the incident she said took place between her and Romero in 2019 at his Las Vegas apartment.

“We struggled,” Zambrano told Sports Illustrated. “I was really scared."

Specific details about the incident are not yet known, though Zambrano told Sports Illustrated that it started after a game of Connect 4. Zambrano has since filed a police report in Las Vegas, and an investigation is ongoing.

Zambrano called the incident a “paralyzing moment,” and was afraid to come forward initially because she thought people wouldn’t believe her allegations. Seeing Romero’s name everywhere leading up to his fight with Davis, she sad, was part of what made her finally say something — even though it led to a big backlash.

She said she “had to speak up.”

“It just seemed like he was everywhere,” Zambrano told Sports Illustrated. “I went to YouTube to turn on a video of my daughter, I see a video of him. I go on Twitter, I see a video of him. I go on Facebook, I see a video of him. I turn on the TV … I didn’t realize I had PTSD from that night. I was so confused and so ashamed that I had put myself in a position like that.

“Now, I’m very triggered by what happened. I can no longer sit and bottle it up while he gets to live this life and be glorified and no one’s voice is heard.”

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting