Rankine cameo lifts Crows to upset win over GWS

A dazzling Izak Rankine cameo has fired Adelaide to a 16-point upset win against Greater Western Sydney.

Rankine's sensational opening half gave the Crows the edge in their 13.16 (94) to 12.6 (78) triumph at Adelaide Oval on Saturday night.

Rankine had halftime stats that would please most in a full game: 21 disposals, seven inside 50s, five clearances, seven score involvements and kicking 2.2.

His feats sparked a seven-goal second-term surge from the Crows in a 20-minute patch that turned a 12-point deficit to a 33-point lead.

Izak Rankine dazzled in the first half. (Matt Turner/AAP PHOTOS)

"Izak was huge in that first half especially," Adelaide coach Matthew Nicks said.

"We knew they'd come at us in the second (half) but I thought his individual performance in the first half, off the back of what his teammates did, was was just great."

Rankine finished with 27 touches, Darcy Fogarty kicked three goals and Taylor Walker, Bean Keays and Josh Rachele scored two each.

Captain Jordan Dawson (24 disposals, 10 marks) and defenders Mitch Hinge (31 disposals) and Mark Keane were also prominent as the Crows snapped a three-game losing streak.

Mark Keane had a strong game for the Crows. (Matt Turner/AAP PHOTOS)

The Giants (eight wins, seven losses) blew a chance to rise to fifth on the ladder - instead, they drop to ninth spot.

"We are far from as consistent as we need to be, to be a good team, that's for sure," GWS coach Adam Kingsley said.

"The disconnect was around the contest again, we were badly beaten around the ball. They outworked us, particularly in that second quarter."

Midfielder Tom Green (38 possessions) and Lachie Whitfield (41) were prolific ball-winners, Toby Greene booted three goals and Josh Kelly (24, two goals) and Callan Ward (24, two goals) were standouts.

Tom Green had 38 possessions for the Giants. (Matt Turner/AAP PHOTOS)

Adelaide's Keays booted the first two goals of the game as the hosts took an early 15-0 lead.

The Giants then produced a four-goal burst - when Jesse Hogan strolled into an open goal seconds before halftime, he put the  visitors 24-18 up.

Skipper Greene soon extended the scoring streak and GWS held a 5.0 to 2.6 lead before Adelaide suddenly clicked.

The Crows, with Rankine and ex-captain Walker seizing control, posted seven consecutive goals in their 20-minute spree.

Rankine, Walker and Fogarty all slotted two goals as the home side went from two goals down to 33 points up at halftime, 9.9 to 5.0.

The Crows created a match-high 37-point break midway through the third term before the visitors snuck within 23 points at three quarter-time.

GWS captain Greene and Hogan slotted goals to shrink Adelaide's margin to 14 points with 13 minutes remaining.

But the Crows, with Fogarty converting his third and three-gamer Billy Dowling adding another, held on for a fifth win of the season.