Port too powerful as Kangaroos' winless run continues

Port Adelaide have consolidated their spot in the AFL top four with a 59-point win over North Melbourne, whose losing streak has grown to 11 games.

Todd Marshall booted an equal-career-best five goals for the Power at Hobart's Blundstone Arena as they broke the back of the Kangaroos with a six-goals-to-one third term.

The 16.11 (107) to 7.6 (48) result on Saturday was the second time in as many rounds Alastair Clarkson's side has been blown away in the third quarter.

It leaves the struggling Kangaroos winless this season and with just three victories under their belt since Clarkson took over for season 2023.

Marshall overcame a concussion assessment and sparked Port Adelaide's run after halftime with two set-shot goals from near the boundary line.

"Todd is looking like he's building into a good position," Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley said.

"Hopefully that means he's going to have a really strong back-half of the year, compared to last year where he was really limited (with injury).

"We took no chances (with the head knock) and did the complete test, clearly he was okay because he went back and kicked well."

The Kangaroos limited the damage in the final term, keeping their opposition to three goals and scoring two themselves.

Port Adelaide's midfield ran strongly, with Jason Horne-Francis topping the clearances with 10 against his former side in his 50th game.

Ollie Wines was also impressive with 26 disposals, six clearances and two goals.

After being substituted out of the game at quarter-time, half-forward Willie Rioli will have a calf injury scanned ahead of Port Adelaide's clash at home with Carlton on Thursday.

The last-placed Kangaroos have the bye next round before travelling to Perth to play 16th-placed West Coast.

Clarkson said Marshall's goals early in the third took the fizz out of his side.

"We're winning small battles but still losing the war," he said.

"We're pleased with the progress some of our lads are making, but it's still not enough to get us competitive enough to be in the contest for long enough."

North Melbourne's Luke Davies-Uniacke was busy with a game-high 35 disposals and one goal.

Despite the final scoreline, the Kangaroos took the contest to Port Adelaide early and trailed by just 11 points at the first break and 20 at the second.

They had their noses ahead in the opening quarter on the back of more inside-50s (15-13) and contested possessions.

But two late goals to the Power, including Zak Butters' second on the run for the term, put them ahead 32-21.

The second quarter was a dogged affair, with the Power notching two goals to North Melbourne's one, which came midway through the term.

Horne-Francis picked up a crucial major for a 47-27 lead at the main break.