Parramatta called out after Mitchell Moses blows up over contract saga
The star playmaker has a big offer NRL contract on the table, but is yet to take it.
The Parramatta Eels have been called out after appearing to drag out talks over a new lucrative contact for star playmaker Mitchell Moses as the 2023 season got underway. The Eels went down in a thrilling 16-12 loss to the Melbourne Storm in extra-time in the opening NRL match of the season.
However, coach Brad Arthur has continually answered questions over Moses' contract, which ends at the end of the season. The Eels are keen to keep the playmaker on board, but Moses is yet to accept the big money offer.
HUGE CALL: Joseph Suaalii's immediate future in NRL decided
'DON'T UNDERSTAND': Cameron Smith calls out Wests Tigers
Moses, who has received interest from Wests Tigers and Canterbury, wouldn't elaborate on whether the sticking point was the value or length of his next deal. The 28-year-old also hit back at the criticism over his extended contract negotiations and claimed his management was dealing with the numbers.
"These things take time, I've left it with my management, they've let me fully focus on football," Moses said. "I don't know if (I'm) being greedy.
"People don't know about the numbers, people are just guessing, journalists are guessing, reporters are guessing what the numbers are, they have no idea. I've left it with my management."
However, NRL reporter Paul Kent said the contract talks need to be sorted as soon as possible to put the drama surrounding the club behind them. "Personally, from a club management point of view, I think Parramatta are slowly blowing it," Kent said on Fox Sports' NRL 360.
"They need to force an answer out of this, so they can start to work on their roster if, for example, he decides to go. But, as far as Parramatta's performance with Brad Arthur and the players, I don't believe that that's going to impact anything they do."
Kenty thinks Parramatta are blowing it by not forcing an answer out of Mitch Moses sooner! 🧐
📺 Watch #NRL360 on @Foxtel CH 502 or stream on @kayosports https://t.co/NUcyGh3B5C pic.twitter.com/NfAJNOBxPT
— Fox League (@FOXNRL) March 6, 2023
Reporter Brent Read claimed the Eels were 'snookered' because of the option in Moses' current contract. to play on for one more season. However, Kent said the Eels need to think about their long-term plans.
"At some point Parramatta have to start to say, 'listen, we need to start to look after our future too,'" Kent said. Moses is set to play his 200th game for the club against the Sharks this weekend.
Mitchell Moses fires back at critics over contact talks
Moses' agent is his cousin Isaac Moses, who was deregistered by the NRL in 2021 before being reinstated last year. The playmaker said his management is dealing with the negotiations and he wasn't sure what had held up talks.
"Don't know, (I've) left it with my management," Moses added. "I've got management to make that decision for me, they worry about that side I worry about football, that's what a manager is for.
"It's a big decision I have to make, Parramatta have been really good for me through this whole time and these things take time." The Parramatta star also praised his coach who has dealt with consistent questions over the matter.
"He's been good with me, we've spoken about it," Moses said. "We don't even have to have those conversations, but he's been fantastic through the process.
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.