Ons Jabeur in massive update after 'heartbreaking' injury fallout
The World No.3 was shattered after her injury announcement.
Ons Jabeur has thrilled her fans and claimed she will be back on the court in a week after her minor surgery was a huge success following the disappointment of the Australian Open. Jabeur was left shattered after her tough second round loss to Marketa Vondrousova in Melbourne last month.
Images showed a visibly upset World No.3 as she came to terms with the loss and the apparent injury she suffered. And in brutal news, Jabeur announced last week that she would be withdrawing from the Qatar event to undergo knee surgery.
NO WAY: Hewitt's pleas ignored as ITF makes controversial call on Davis Cup
'TORN': Serena Williams' sad new revelation about tennis retirement
The Tunisian was looking forward to a reunion with fans in the Middle East, with the Dubai Tennis Championships her next stop this month. However, in brilliant news, Jabeur said her minor knee operation was a success and she already plans to getting back on the court and training as early as next week.
"The minor surgery has been done and according to my medical team, it's been successful," she wrote on social media. "I should be able to go back on the court and get back to work in the next week or so, I wanted to thank...every single person who sent messages and showed support."
The 28-year-old is expected to still miss out on the Dubai Tennis Championship, which starts on 19 February. However, she could still make a return to the WTA 1000 Indian Wells starting on March 6.
Jabeur said it was 'breaking my heart' to withdraw from the two tournaments she was so keen to enter for her fans.
Nice update from Ons Jabeur about her surgery, which has been successful 🚀 pic.twitter.com/RXhy0B2xL9
— Mario Boccardi (@marioboc17) February 14, 2023
Ons Jabeur in 'distressing' Australian Open scenes
The Tunisian was captured behind the scenes upset at the Australian Open after her shock round 2 defeat. The 28-year-old collapsed in the hallway on Rod Laver Arena after her defeat.
Eurosport tennis experts Tim Henman and Barbara Shett admitted the post-match scenes surrounding the Tunisian were confronting for viewers.
“It was distressing for everyone to see," Henman said on Eurosport. “She had been out there on court giving it everything.
“She was the No.2 seed, she was playing on the stadium court, it was difficult conditions. Not only was it cold and heavy, but it was also 01:00 [local time] in the morning there. It was just so unfortunate she has gone out in these circumstances, but we all wish her well and if she was not feeling her best, she makes a swift recovery."
Ons Jabeur shortly after exiting Rod Laver Arena 😰
Tennis really is the most brutal and mentally exhausting of sports pic.twitter.com/gP7r7oFADa
— Bastien Fachan (@BastienFachan) January 19, 2023
Schett added: “You could see the disappointment on Ons Jabeur’s face as well. We know she had a bit of a knee problem when I spoke to her."
While Jabeur would have been diappointed with her Australian Open campaign, she enjoyed a breakout 2022 season. Jabeur achieved a career-high ranking of World No.2, which is the highest ranking ever for an Arab tennis player.
She reached the Wimbledon final and won both the Madrid and Berlin Open last year.
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.