Former Brazil Olympics boss sentenced to 30 years in prison

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Seen here, Brazil's former Olympics boss Carlos Arthur Nuzman.
Brazil's former Olympics boss Carlos Arthur Nuzman was found guilty of corruption over the Rio 2016 Games. Pic: Getty

Carlos Arthur Nuzman, the head of the Brazilian Olympic Committee (BOC) for more than two decades, has been sentenced to 30 years and 11 months in jail for allegedly buying votes for Rio de Janeiro to host the 2016 Olympics.

The ruling by Judge Marcelo Bretas became public Thursday.

'SHAMEFUL': IOC official's 'embarrassing' Peng Shuai interview slammed

'RIDICULOUS': Lleyton Hewitt fumes over Davis Cup farce

Nuzman, who also headed the Rio 2016 organising committee, was found guilty of corruption, criminal organisation, money laundering and tax evasion. 

The 79-year-old executive won't be jailed until all his appeals are heard.

Bretas also sentenced to jail former Rio Govenor Sergio Cabral, businessman Arthur Soares and Leonardo Gryner, who was the Rio 2016 committee director-general of operations. 

Investigators say all three and Nuzman coordinated to bribe the former president of the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF), Lamine Diack, and his son Papa Diack for votes.

Cabral, who has been in jail since 2016 and faces a series of other convictions and investigations, told Bretas two years ago he had paid about $2 million in exchange for up to six votes in the International Olympic Committee (IOC) meeting that awarded Rio the Olympic and Paralympic Games. 

He said the money had come from a debt owed to him by Soares.

Carlos Arthur Nuzman found guilty of buying votes

Cabral, who governed Rio state between 2003 and 2010, added that another $500,000 was paid later to Diack's son with the aim of securing three more votes of IOC members.

Bretas' ruling labels Nuzman as "one of the main (people) responsible for the promotion and the organisation of the criminal scheme, given his position in the Brazilian Olympic Committee and before international authorities."

Seen here, Former President of Brazil's Olympic Committee Carlos Arthur Nuzman at the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games.
Former President of Brazil's Olympic Committee Carlos Arthur Nuzman is seen here at the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games. Pic: Getty

The judge also said the sports executive "headed and coordinated action of the other agents, clearly as a leader" to illegally garnish support at the IOC.

Rio's bid beat Chicago, Tokyo and Madrid to host the 2016 Games.

The investigation in Brazil began in 2017 after French newspaper Le Monde found members of the IOC had been bribed three days before the 2009 session in Copenhagen where Rio was picked to host the Games.

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting