- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Aussie swimmer Shayna Jack is finally free to return to the pool after an appeal seeking to increase her doping ban was dismissed.
Jack was initially banned for four years after testing positive to Ligandrol in June of 2019, almost three weeks before the swimming world championships in South Korea.
'MOLESTED FOR HOURS': Gold medallist details horrific abuse
The Queenslander appealed her ban to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, which reduced the suspension to two years after finding that Jack did not knowingly ingest the substance.
But Sport Integrity Australia (SIA) appealed that reduction, citing a need for clarity regarding anti-doping legal principles.
On Thursday CAS rejected the SIA appeal, ruling that the two-year ban will stand and Jack can now return to the sport.
"After a 2 year and 3 month battle, I have finally received my final decision that my appeal case has been dismissed by the Court of Arbitration," Jack posted on Instagram on Thursday night.
"I am now free to do what I love with no restrictions and am so overwhelmed with joy.
"I am now going to take some time to myself to cherish this moment and reflect on what I have endured. The nightmare is finally over.
"Thank you to everyone who has stood by me, supported me and help me overcome this challenge.
"I will speak more in the future, now is not the time ... but watch this space, it's only the beginning."
Shayna Jack didn't knowingly ingest banned substance
SIA chief executive David Sharpe said Jack's case was now closed.
"This matter wasn't about pursuing an individual athlete," Sharpe said in a statement.
"It was very much about providing clarity and consistency to athletes and sports in the application of the World Anti-Doping Code."
SIA was established in July last year, taking over management of the former Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority among other agencies of the federal government.
CAS on November 24 last year published its full decision, noting Jack admitted she didn't know how the substance was in her system but suggested three possible sources for her positive test.
Jack suggested supplements she took was could have been contaminated at manufacturing.
Another possibility was the supplements were contaminated by being prepared or mixed in a blender that may have been contaminated or contained Ligandrol.
A third possibility was Jack may have come into contact with the Ligandrol or ingested it as a result of using a pool and/or gym open to the public in Townsville or Cairns while training before the 2019 world championships.
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.