'Really upsetting': Olympian bashed in 'horrific' gang attack

Warning: The following story contains graphic images some viewers might find disturbing

This picture shows Jack Woolley after the horrific attack in Dublin.
Jack Woolley required facial reconstructive surgery after the horrific attack in Dublin. Pic: Twitter/Instagram

Olympic Games athlete Jack Woolley is recovering in hospital after a random and horrific attack left him requiring facial reconstructive surgery.

The 22-year-old, who represented Ireland in taekwondo at the Olympic Games in Tokyo, was set upon by a group of men during a night out in Dublin.

'RIGGED': Russia's explosive Olympic claims against America

SPEAKING OUT: Maddie Groves breaks silence after 'perverts' claim

'DEVASTATED': Olympics rocked by shocking double tragedy

Woolley described the attack as completely "random" and "out of the blue" and says as many as 12 men jumped him on a bridge in the Irish capital, just after midnight.

The disgusting incident saw Woolley suffer significant injuries to his face and he was taken to Dublin’s St. James’ Hospital, where he required for facial reconstructive surgery.

Seen here, Jack Woolley competing for Ireland in taekwondo at the Olympic Games.
Jack Woolley represented Ireland in taekwondo at the Olympic Games. Pic: Getty

Woolley, who was eliminated in his opening fight in the 58kg division in Tokyo, posted on Instagram to thank supporters for their messages and explain what happened.

He also posted an image of himself sitting on the ground with his face and clothes covered in blood.

Jack Woolley shows gruesome injuries from attack

“Thank you to everyone for all the messages to see how I am doing. Last night ... I went for a meal with my friend. Followed by a bar for a couple of drinks. Heading back along the River Liffey a gang of roughy 8-12 men and women in their 20s began violently attacking people along the boardwalk,” Woolley wrote.

“Unfortunately I was victim to these random attacks as I was just walking by before I was punched in the face by one of these group members. Only one punch and followed by ‘my mistake wrong person’ then they continued to run off down the road attacking more civilians minding their own business.

“Luckily I was able to phone an ambulance and stay conscious. My friends helped me throughout all over this and I’m glad to say they both are well and safe. I am lucky this is all that happened as there were a handful of us hospitalised and one I have heard to have died after being stabbed (word of mouth). I’m currently waiting in James’s hospital for mouth surgery.

“Thank you all again for the support and kind messages. I hope for a speedy recovery. It’s been a tough couple of months.”

His mother, Annette, told The Echo that she's relieved the incident wasn't even worse.

“I am just thinking that he is lucky in a way because apparently there was stabbings in separate incidents near the same area last night.”

Irish authorities said a short time after the attack that "no arrests have been made" but "investigations are ongoing.”

The terrifying incident left outraged members of the public praying for Woolley to make a speedy recovery.

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.