Melbourne Storm prop Christian Welch has been stood down after inviting a guest back to the hotel in the NRL’s quarantine hub.
The Queensland prop invited back an unregistered guess and is self-isolating after the incident.
'REDUCED RISK’: New restrictions to allow 40,000 fans at finals
'TRIED TO BLEND KFC': Star opens up on horror injuries
From midnight, Melbourne players and staff were free of strict quarantine "bubble" conditions, given it had been two weeks since they'd played a team from NSW.
It is unclear what time this incident took place.
Melbourne Storm released a statement claiming he won’t play in the clash against the Tigers on Saturday.
“Christian Welch has been placed into isolation and stood down by the Club from playing and training duties, after an unregistered guest was invited onto the Storm group’s residences last night,” the club statement read.
Welch ‘shattered’ after being stood down
Welch has undergone a Covid-19 test after the incident.
Welch released a statement after breaching the NRL’s biosecurity measures.
“I’m incredibly remorseful and sorry for my actions,” he said.
“I love this game and everything it has given me and I’m shattered that I have let everyone down.
“Calling my parents to let them know about this was the worst phone call I’ve ever made.
Melbourne Storm has reported a COVID breach by one of its players to the NRL Integrity Unit overnight.— Melbourne Storm (@storm) September 18, 2020
“I know it’s a privilege to play in the NRL and I want to apologise to all for any damage I have caused.”
The Storm briefed the NRL Integrity Unit and Queensland Government early on Friday.
Chief executive Dave Donaghy said the club was investigating further.
"There was a possible breach late last night with an unregistered guest to the bubble's premises," Donaghy said.
"We disclosed the matter to the NRL early this morning.
"We are seeking some further details.”