NRL rape accused under dual investigations

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo Media Opportunity
The NRL’s integrity unit will investigate a rape allegation against a Queensland player parallel to the ongoing police investigation. Picture: NCA NewsWire / David Swift

The NRL has launched an inquiry into a Queensland player accused of rape, who is already under investigation by police.

It emerged on Wednesday that Queensland Police had launched an investigation after attending the player’s home address, following a complaint from a woman who alleged she had been raped.

On Wednesday night, NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo called the allegations “very serious” and “very disappointing”, forecasting Thursday night’s announcement of an investigation by the NRL’s integrity unit.

“These are very serious allegations,” he said.

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo Media Opportunity
NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo said the allegation was “very serious” and “very disappointing”. Picture: NewsWire / David Swift

“We have policies in place to deal with these things should they eventuate. We’ll deal with the facts once we know more.

“We are working with the relevant parties to find out more, and obviously as we find out more, we’ll be able to say more.

“At this stage, all I can say is that it’s very disappointing to hear about these allegations.”

As reported by 9News, Queensland Police Commissioner Steve Gollschewski said the “complex nature” of the case may delay charges.

If he is charged, he will be stood down from the League by default, but until then will be eligible to play as early as this weekend.

Abdo previously said it was too early to implement the NRL’s no-fault stand-down policy, which was brought in five years ago for players who had been charged with serious criminal offences that involved a maximum jail term of 11 years or more.

His identity has not been made public.

The Australian reported the player was referred to the integrity unit by his own club, and the alleged incident was understood to have taken place while the player and complainant were intoxicated.

A Queensland Police spokesperson said the investigation remained underway.