Canberra Raiders sack troubled NRL star Curtis Scott

·Sports Reporter
·2-min read
Curtis Scott (pictured) looking dejected.
Curtis Scott (pictured) has been sacked by the Canberra Raiders. (Getty Images)

The Canberra Raiders have sacked NRL centre Curtis Scott effective immediately.

The troubled 23-year-old's career was in the balance after two major off-field incidents since joining Canberra from Melbourne 18 months ago.

'HE HASN'T LEARNT': Josh Dugan's 'sad' truth after fresh scandal

WILD: Fan outrage over Des Hasler's contentious Tom Trbojevic call

Scott had not appeared for the Raiders since Round 12, and had only played 10 of 71 career games this season.

But on Monday, the Raiders released a statement after terminating the contract of the back.

"The Canberra Raiders board of directors today decided to terminate the contract of Curtis Scott effective immediately... ," the club said in a statement on Monday.

"The board decided that Curtis' prior behaviour and recent assault charge has brought the club into disrepute, and they could not ignore this and the responsibilities that his NRL playing contract entails.

"The board said the club would continue to support Scott's ongoing rehabilitation and it will be in contact with NRL Welfare in this regard."

The Raiders said the board carefully considered the statements made at a 'show cause' hearing with Scott on August 17 and the material supplied afterward before making their decision.

Curtis Scott's prior incidents

Last year on Australia Day, Scott was accused of assaulting two police officers. 

He was tasered by NSW police and charged with resisting arrest before the case was thrown out in court.

In May of 2021 he was involved in a nightclub incident and charged with assault for his alleged pub altercation, with the Raiders only becoming aware one week after through the media.

He was stood down at the time, and later received a three-game ban and fined a total of $30,000 by the NRL for bringing the game into disrepute.

Scott recently turned to Alcoholics Anonymous and psychiatric treatment in a bid to save his NRL career and said the anxiety and scars of the incidents left him feeling "absolute rock bottom."

Canberra said they will be making no further comment.

with AAP

Watch 'Mind Games', the new series from Yahoo Sport Australia exploring the often brutal mental toil elite athletes go through in pursuit of greatness:

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting