The Brisbane Broncos have been copping it from all and sundry after Thursday night’s record pummelling at the hands of the Sydney Roosters.
The Broncos were so embarrassed post-game that coach Anthony Seibold claimed players couldn't even look at their teammates after being “bullied” in the 10-try romp that he described as “men against boys”.
‘EMBARRASSED THE CITY’: Legend shreds 'pathetic' Broncos
MASSIVE NO-NO: Bulldogs legend breaks virus protocols
Seibold’s injury-ravaged and inexperienced side were ruthlessly put to the sword by the defending premiers - who romped to a 59-0 thrashing in the Broncos’ own backyard.
Brisbane were roundly savaged for their ‘embarrassing’ performance after being destroyed by a Roosters team - missing James Tedesco - at Suncorp Stadium.
Commentators have questioned the attitude of the players and the Broncos coaching staff but club greats Gordon Tallis and Glenn Lazarus say the problems go much deeper.
Both premiership-winning former Broncos forwards have identified the club’s recruitment as a major area of concern that needs to be addressed if the Brisbane glory days are to be restored.
Tallis told Triple M radio on Friday that the Broncos recruitment team had a lot to answer for, considering their ability to cherry-pick players from Queensland’s vast rugby league talent pool.
“They’ve got the pick of the state. I know at the Titans we want someone like (David) Fifita to come, we wanted (Payne) Haas. You don’t get them. The Broncos get the best kids.”
Tallis aimed a shot at Broncos recruiter Peter Nolan and said the strategies being put in place at the club are questionable.
“What have they needed since Allan Langer retired, and Darren Lockyer, and Kevin Walters? A great half.”
“Then you’ve got a manager that’s got 15 players that moves their backup hooker who everybody loves to Newcastle. Then (Ben) Te’o comes in – another guy that he represents.
“I think they’re getting played from every angle, the Broncos. I just don’t think they’re making smart decisions for the club moving forward, it’s as simple as that.”
Lazarus also offered a similar take to Tallis, telling Fox Sports that the Broncos' recruitment team need to be held accountable for the poor recent results.
“There’s something very very wrong," Lazaruas said.
"These guys are meant to be first grade players. And if they’re not up to it, why are they recruiting this type of player?
“There were times when they used to supply ten players to a State of Origin contest. Now you certainly wouldn’t be looking too hard at a Broncos player, the way they’re playing now.”
“The recruiting has certainly got to be looked at. I just can’t believe they haven’t been able to find a quality half or five eight that could lead this team around the park since Darren Lockyer basically.
Broncos coach takes responsibility for big loss
Immediately after Thursday night's 59-0 thumping by Parramatta, Broncos coach Anthony Seibold took full responsibility for the defeat.
It was an all too familiar situation, with Brisbane's previous record defeat - a 58-0 finals loss to Parramatta - coming last year.
However, Seibold said he believed the yardstick could not be applied to his injury-ravaged side until they were back to full strength.
“With almost $4 million worth of salary cap out I thought it was the best side we could come up with,” Seibold said.
“We have come out of Covid and haven't fired a shot. Can we turn it around in a week - I am not sure.
“The scoreboard and the performance was totally unacceptable (but) I believe in the group but this their journey - I just didn't think it would be so bumpy.”
Brisbane have now conceded 93 points in their last two games, dropping to a 2-2 record after their season started with such promise.