Storm set for huge announcement on coach Craig Bellamy

·Sports Reporter
·2-min read
Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy (pictured) waves to NRL fans.
NRL coach Craig Bellamy (pictured) appears to be set to stay on as coach for another year at the Melbourne Storm. (Getty Images)

Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy is set to stay on and coach the Storm past this season in a huge win for the NRL club.

Bellamy is set to lead the club into his 21st season in charge with a statement set to be released later on Wednesday.

WOW: Anthony Mundine's offer to Bulldogs after Trent Barrett resignation

'TRY AND GET OUT': Bulldogs player twist emerges in Trent Barrett exit

While Bellamy is contracted to stay with the club till 2026, he was thinking of moving into a director of coaching role.

After being granted a number of extensions on a deadline for a decision due to his personal circumstances, Bellamy agreed to stay on in his current position for 2023.

And the coach delayed his announcement in order to give his players the spotlight with a number of milestones achieved in the Round 10 clash against Penrith.

The Storm hierarchy will welcome the decision considering a number of key players, such as skipper Jesse Bromwich, his brother Kenny, and fellow representative forward Felise Kaufusi are all leaving for the Dolphins at the end of the year.

Cameron Munster deal up in the air

Bellamy's one-year contract could potentially impact the future of superstar playmaker Cameron Munster, who is off contract at the end of 2023.

Munster is expected to make a decision on his playing future in coming weeks and with Bellamy not committing long term he may look to shore up his future by accepting one of the massive contracts on offer to play elsewhere.

The Storm copped a reality check on the weekend as reigning champions Penrith tore them apart during Magic Round.

Storm playmaker Cameron Munster (pictured) looks on during the round 10 NRL match against the Penrith Panthers.
Storm playmaker Cameron Munster (pictured) looks on during the round 10 NRL match against the Penrith Panthers. (Photo by Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images)

Cameron Munster described Melbourne's performance in the thrashing as being "under 12s" standard - and Storm coach Craig Bellamy tends to agree.

The Storm were brushed aside by the Panthers in a rematch of last year's preliminary final, going down 32-6 in the blockbuster clash.

Melbourne were already without fullback Ryan Papenhuyzen and then lost halfback Jahrome Hughes on the day of the game, but Munster said that was no excuse.

"We were poor. I don't care who we had out tonight, we still had a good enough team to give the Panthers a shake," he told the Nine Network.

"We looked like an under 12s team, we don't want to play like that next week."

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting