Police step in amid 'scary' threats to NRL player's family

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·Sports Reporter
·4-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
A circled image shows the extra security assigned to Mitchell Moses, with a potrait of Moses on the right.
The NRL and NSW Police provided Mitchell Moses with extra security on ground and an excort to and from the stadium after his family were contacted a series of death threats against him. Pictures: Fox NRL/Getty Images

NRL halfback Mitchell Moses has revealed how additional security was arranged for he and his family prior to Parramatta's clash with the Warriors after death threats were sent to his loved ones.

Alarmingly, Moses never actually recieved any of the threats himself - instead he said family members had copped 'non-stop' phone calls with whoever was on the other end making threats against him.

'BROKEN': Andrew Johns opens up after critics slam 'bulls***' Origin act

FILTHY: NSW coach rages over 'disrespectful' act after State of Origin loss

The Daily Telegraph revealed after Parrammatta's win over the New Zealand Warriors on Friday that the club had been on contact with NSW Police earlier in the week over the calls.

Additional police and security were assigned to the match at CommBank Stadium, with Moses and his family escorted in and out of the stadium by police.

Moses was accompanied by two security staff after the match when he joined the broadcast for a post-match interview.

On Saturday morning, Moses bravely discussed the incident on Triple M, saying it was horrific to see his family bear the brunt of cowardly threats.

“It’s a pretty scary thing,” he said.

“I think it was worse because contact was to my family. When people start to get into your family it’s harder.

Couple of text messages and couple of phone calls. It was non stop. It didn’t come through to me. It came to my family.

"To see them in that situation is not good for any person let alone a footballer.”

For his part, Moses wasn't rattled by the disgusting threats.

He helped the Eels earn fifth place on the ladder with a 28-18 victory over the Warriors, adding 56 run metres and 20 tackles.

The Eels are now well placed to make a late season push towards the top of the ladder, trailing the teams ahead of them by just two points.

Additionally, Parramatta are scheduled to play five of their last seven games of the regular season at home.

Eels outmuscle Warriors in sloppy NRL showing

At virtually full strength, the Eels were made to work for their victory by the Warriors, whose preparations were disrupted by a non-COVID sickness that swept through camp during the week.

But the New Zealanders had reason for positivity heading into Friday night's game. They returned to Auckland for a win before the bye and had unveiled Andrew Webster as their new coach for 2023.

The Warriors' confidence was evident in their defence early. The Eels were tackled 25 times in their 20 metre zone and forced three drop-outs before they could finally score.

When centre Waqa Blake broke through, his four-pointer marked the first time since round seven that Parramatta had crossed the tryline before their opponent.

Maika Sivo snaffled a wayward Shaun Johnson pass and streaked away 10 minutes later, teaming up with Blake for his second and the Warriors were 10 points in arrears.

Mitchell Moses breaks through a tackle against the New Zealand Warriors.
Mitchell Moses didn't let a series of distrurbing death threats affect his game against the Warriors on Friday night. (Photo by Jason McCawley/Getty Images)

But they refused to fold, striking back through Marcelo Montoya and remaining in the contest after the break thanks in no small part to ill discipline from both sides.

In the first 10 minutes of the second half, referee Todd Smith blew his whistle for four errors, two penalties and two ruck infringements but the Eels were better equipped to rise from the mire and reignite their attack.

Seven members of Parramatta's forward pack finished with over 100 run metres, laying the platform for a 15-minute period of dominance that saw them home.

"We felt like we needed to target a number around metres tonight, which you need to control possession and then it gives you good field position," Eels coach Brad Arthur said.

The win is crucial to Parramatta's hopes of securing a top-four spot, especially given their tough draw to round the season out.

In their final seven regular season games, the Eels face only one side that are not currently in the top eight.

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

With AAP

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting