Kalyn Ponga's father responds to toilet cubicle video with Kurt Mann

·Sports Editor
·3-min read
Kalyn Ponga, pictured here leaving a toilet cubicle with Kurt Mann.
Video has emerged of Kalyn Ponga and Kurt Mann leaving a toilet cubicle. Image: Supplied/Getty

Kalyn Ponga's father Andre has responded to a video of his son leaving a toilet cubicle with Newcastle Knights teammate Kurt Mann.

Video has been circulating online of the moment Ponga and Mann leave the cubicle after being asked to do so by a security guard at an establishment.

In the four-second video, the security guard can be heard saying "oh that's a surprise" after the cubicle door opens and Ponga and Mann walk out with drinks in hand.

'WHAT A JOKE': NRL fans in uproar over 'pathetic' controversy

'MY FIRST LOVE': Paul Green's former partner in devastating tribute

The Knights told AAP on Monday that they were made aware of the video late on Sunday night but they were still working to determine the reason for the pair's run-in with security.

Andre Ponga, who is Kalyn's father and manager, offered an explanation to the Daily Telegraph, claiming his son was sick and Mann was simply helping him.

“He made an exciting house purchase Saturday and celebrated with a few mates drinking,” Andre Ponga said.

“Sick in the toilet and his mate went in to help him.”

Kurt Mann and Kalyn Ponga, pictured here leaving the toilet cubicle together.
Kurt Mann and Kalyn Ponga could be seen leaving the toilet cubicle together. Image: Supplied

Kalyn Ponga out for season with concussion

Ponga is currently sidelined with concussion issues and revealed on Sunday that he won't return to the field this year.

Ponga hasn't featured for the Knights after suffering his third concussion in the space of six weeks during a defeat to the Sydney Roosters last month.

The Queensland State of Origin star has been working with specialists to determine his recovery process.

After suffering headaches and forgetfulness following his latest head knock, Ponga says he's showing no symptoms now.

But despite looking on track to have the all-clear for a playing return by round 24, Ponga said a cautious approach would be taken given the Knights can't make the finals.

Kalyn Ponga, pictured here leaving the field after a head knock against the Sydney Roosters.
Kalyn Ponga leaves the field after a head knock against the Sydney Roosters. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)

"I'd be sweet for the last round but doing no contact for the year, it probably would be a wise thing not to play the last round," Ponga told Triple M Newcastle radio.

"My season's done. It's a bit weird. I feel OK now. At the start I felt a bit weird, headaches and whatnot, but I feel alright now.

"It's just hard. I feel OK. I feel fit. I want to play but I guess I'm just going through the protocols at the moment."

Ponga's decision would make it hard for the fullback to prove his form and fitness for selection in Australia's World Cup squad.

The 24-year-old, who signed a five-year contract with the Knights earlier this year, said the Kangaroos hadn't factored into his decision-making but he hadn't ruled out being a part of Mal Meninga's squad if chosen.

"I haven't really spoken to the club or had much thought about that," he said.

"It's probably something I'll think about or touch on in coming weeks.

"I haven't had the conversation with anyone yet about anything to do with the World Cup."

Despite the concerning amount of head knocks he'd endured in 2022, Ponga was confident the issue wouldn't impact his career long-term based on the advice he's received from experts.

"It is tough. I feel sweet. There's nothing wrong with me," he said.

"I can't feel anything but I just have to trust the process that's ahead of me."

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.