'It's embarrassing': NRL star called out over WAG's angry coach rant

Ryan Sutton's partner Kate Ford posted an angry response to his round one snub in the NRL. Pic: Instagram
Ryan Sutton's partner Kate Ford posted an angry response to his round one snub in the NRL. Pic: Instagram

NRL 360 co-host Paul Kent has torn shreds through Canberra Raiders star Ryan Sutton and his partner after the latter took to social media to slam the club's coach Ricky Stuart.

Sutton's partner Kate Ford launched a stinging response on social media after finding out that her NRL beau had been left out of Canberra's 17-man squad for their season-opener against the Sharks on Friday night.

'NOT FAIR': Sydney FC star exposes shocking double standards

HEARTBREAKING: Shane Warne's ex-wife breaks her silence

Englishman Sutton was named as the Raiders’ 18th man for the match in the nation's capital, with Hudson Young, Corey Harawira-Naera and captain Elliott Whitehead picked ahead of him in the back row.

With the likes of Emre Guler, Adam Elliott and Corey Horsburgh on the bench, Canberra's coach could not find a place for one of the club's most consistent performers in 2021.

Sutton's partner Ford reacted to the snub by posting a photo of the Raiders' round one team list alongside the words: “& I thought the fashion industry was b****y”, followed by a series of laughing-out-loud emojis.

It must have seemed like deja vu for Stuart and the Raiders, who went through a similar thing involving Joe Tapine’s wife last season.

Reacting to the latest drama, a furious Kent said on NRL 360 that Sutton should feel embarrassed for his partner's behaviour.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

“It’s embarrassing. In what occupation would you tolerate your wife giving it to your boss?" Kent said.

“Last year Joe Tapine and his partner did exactly the same thing, it caused rumblings in the club for weeks and weeks and weeks.

“Here it is week one and you’ve got somebody’s partner coming out on Instagram and giving it to Ricky.

“I don’t know of another industry where this happens. Actually I remember it once happening and it went worldwide, that was when Tom Brady’s model wife gave it to the coach over a thing there.

“It’s his workplace, be unhappy as you like at home. If I was Ricky Stuart I would say the next person whose wife steps out and says something, you’re playing for Queanbeyan next week.”

Paul Kent has slammed Ryan Sutton and his partner Kate Ford over the latter's Instagram post. Pic: Instagram/Fox Sports
Paul Kent has slammed Ryan Sutton and his partner Kate Ford over the latter's Instagram post. Pic: Instagram/Fox Sports

NewsCorp journalist Brent Read says Sutton has apologised to Stuart and the club for his partner’s outburst.

The England international has recently been linked with a move to Canterbury Bulldogs for the 2023 season and beyond.

Jack Wighton is set to make his 200th appearance for the Raiders against Cronulla, with James Schiller and Adam Elliott making their club debuts for the Raiders in the first match of the season.

Brad Schneider will start the season at half-back for the club after Jamal Fogarty was ruled out last week for an extended period with a knee injury.

Nick Cotric has been named on the wing to make his NRL return for the Raiders.

Sharks coach to miss Raiders match after positive Covid result

Round one opponents Cronulla were dealt a blow on Wednesday with news that new coach Craig Fitzgibbon will miss his side’s opening game due to a positive Covid result.

Cronulla Sharks head coach Craig Fitzgibbon will miss his side’s opening game due to a positive Covid result.

Fitzgibbon tested positive through the week, delaying his NRL debut overseeing the Sharks.

With mild symptoms he is expected to be available for their clash with Parramatta in round two.

Fitzgibbon has handed the reins against the Raiders to his assistant coaches Steve Price and Josh Hannay.

"After a carefully planned pre-season, most of the preparations are complete and we have three more than capable coaches to take care of the group for a couple of days," Fitzgibbon said in a statement a Wednesday.

"Obviously the timing of this isn't ideal, you can take all the precautions as I have in following NRL apollo advice and protocols but with four children at home unfortunately it has caught up with our family at an inopportune time.

"My health is fine and symptoms mild, I look forward to getting back amongst the group next week and I will be in constant communications with the coaches and players."

with agencies

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.