NRL investigating Brandon Smith over post-match interview comment

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·Sports Editor
·3-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Brandon Smith, pictured here making the comment during an interview with Xavier Coates.
Brandon Smith reportedly made the comment during an interview with Xavier Coates. Image: Getty/Melbourne Storm

Melbourne Storm forward Brandon Smith is reportedly under investigation by the NRL for a comment he made during an on-field interview with teammate Xavier Coates.

Coates was being interviewed by Melbourne Storm media after his four-try effort against the Warriors on Anzac Day when Smith interjected.

'ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING': NRL fans divided over horror send-off

'TOUGHEST EFFORT': NRL star's gruesome injury comes to light

Smith could be heard saying "let's go" followed by a reported 'pidgin English' word, which prompted a laugh from Coates.

However according to rugby league reporter Danny Weidler, the word Smith used has sparked anger in the Papua New Guinean community.

The word reportedly has several meanings of a sexual nature and is regarded as offensive in PNG, where Coates hails from.

Weidler said the NRL view Smith's behaviour as “unprofessional and, potentially, disrespectful”.

Smith reportedly told Melbourne officials that he doesn’t know what the word means and that he‘s heard other players use it in the past.

The 25-year-old could be facing a second breach notice in the past 12 months after he, Cameron Munster and Chris Lewis were all punished over their white-powder scandal in September.

Smith was suspended for one game and handed a suspended $50,000 fine.

Brandon Smith, pictured here before Melbourne's clash with the Warriors.
Brandon Smith warms up before Melbourne's clash with the Warriors. (Photo by Daniel Pockett/Getty Images)

Xavier Coates continues try-scoring streak

Coates scored another three tries on Sunday as the Storm sent the Newcastle Knights to the bottom of the ladder.

Newcastle hit their lowest ebb in five years as Melbourne consigned Adam O'Brien's men to last spot with a 50-2 flogging.

On another sorry afternoon for the Knights, five-eighth Jake Clifford was hooked after 53 minutes as they slumped to their worst loss in O'Brien's tenure.

Apologetic after being hammered by Parramatta at home last week, the Knights barely stood a chance against the rampant Storm - who have scored 120 points in their past two games.

Xavier Coates, pictured here celebrating a try for the Storm against the Knights.
Xavier Coates celebrates a try for the Storm against the Knights. (Photo by Ashley Feder/Getty Images)

While the Warriors on Saturday rebounded from their 70-10 mauling at the hands of Melbourne last week, there was no such turnaround for the Knights at McDonald Jones Stadium.

The hosts failed to break Melbourne's line even once, as they collapsed to a sixth-straight loss and fell to 16th for the first time since Nathan Brown's days at the club in 2017.

Coates had another field day on the right wing with his hat-trick making it seven tries in two games, while Harry Grant set up three tries out of dummy-half.

Munster had a hand in two tries and scored one himself, as the Storm again made light work of the Knights' flimsy right-edge defence with Justin Olam claiming a double.

"The way we completed and still played our footy, that's the reason was what it was," coach Craig Bellamy said.

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting