Anthony Seibold detail comes to light amid Des Hasler dramas at Manly

Anthony Seibold and Des Hasler are pictured side by side.
Anthony Seibold has been linked to the Manly Sea Eagles as a potential coaching successor to Des Hasler. Pictures: Getty Images

The Manly Sea Eagles have been linked to former Brisbane Broncos coach Anthony Seibold, as the club continues to sift through the fallout of a tumultuous 2022 season.

Missing the finals courtesy of seven straight losses to end their 2022 season was a bitter pill to swallow for Manly, who are still attempting to repair the damage of the pride jersey saga.

YOWZA: Jarome Luai responds to Ryan Matterson swipe after NRL grand final

HUGE TWIST: Mark McLinden revealed as pitch invader at grand final

Not only that, but coach Des Hasler's future at the club has been brought into question in the wake of their season-ending losing streak, with both the Sydney Morning Herald and Daily Telegraph reporting on Thursday that Seibold had been identified as a potential successor to Hasler.

Hasler was not offered a contract extension at the end of the season, with the Sea Eagles reportedly having some interest in a succession plan to move on from the veteran NRL coach.

The coach and club are believed to be still negotiating such a plan, with Hasler's preference to hand control of the team over to current Queensland assistant coach Josh Hannay ahead of the 2025 season - giving him two more seasons in charge at Brookvale.

Hannay and Seibold are considered front-runners to take over from Hasler, but it remains to be seen how soon Hasler will hand over the reigns.

The Telegraph reported Manly team owner Scott Penn was meeting with Hasler this week to sort through his future, leaving the possibility of Seibold taking over before the end of the year.

Seibold won coach of the year in his debut season with South Sydney, but his fortunes took a nosedive after an ill-fated swap of positions with Wayne Bennett which saw him take over as coach of the Brisbane Broncos.

What unfolded was a disaster for Seibold, ultimately resigning two years into what had been a five year contract after guiding the Broncos to their worst record in history during the 2020 season.

Since earning the dubious honour of coaching Brisbane to their first NRL wooden spoon, Seibold has worked with Newcastle coach Adam O'Brien, as well as assisting with Eddie Jones' England rugby union side.

In the wake of their woeful end to the season, Manly skipper Daly Cherry-Evans said Hasler still had his support.

“We have a great relationship as coach and captain at Manly. That is why I always endorse him — because we do have such a good relationship.

“It is not for me to get in the way of the club and his relationship. They obviously have business to sort out and I am sure they will get it done by the time we get back for pre-season.”

Anthony Seibold, pictured here speaksing to the media during a Brisbane Broncos media opportunity.
Anthony Seibold speaks to the media during a Brisbane Broncos media opportunity. (Photo by Jono Searle/Getty Images)

Ben Hunt re-signs with Dragons as Munster's future uncertain

Meanwhile, St George Illawarra captain Ben Hunt has re-signed with the NRL club until the end of 2025, putting to bed speculation he could be joining Canterbury.

The 32-year-old halfback was already on contract with the Dragons until the end of 2023 but had met with Bulldogs general manager of football Phil Gould about being a part of the strong roster he is building for the future.

The news of Hunt's two-year extension with the Dragons is a huge boost for the Red V as he has been the club's best player in recent seasons.

Hunt has spoken of his desire to continue to be coached by Dragons mentor Anthony Griffin who first worked with him back in 2008 with the Brisbane Broncos under-20s.

"It's a pleasing day for my family and I," Hunt said.

"I am very happy we were able to come to an agreement as I always wanted to stay with the Dragons. I am excited by the direction the club is headed."

The Dragons have not played finals football since 2018 and Hunt will be vital to their plans to move up the ladder.

"Ben's on-field performances speak for themselves," Dragons general manager of football Ben Haran said.

"His leadership off the field and around the club will be crucial in the ongoing development of our NRL squad."

Ben Hunt is pictured playing for the St George Illawarra Dragons.
Ben Hunt has announced he will re-sign with the Dragons, remaining with the club until 2025. (Photo by Jason McCawley/Getty Images)

And Cameron Munster has emphatically declared a decision about his future is about more than just money, admitting he is still torn on whether to move on from Melbourne after next season.

Munster will effectively become a free agent in less than four weeks, with the Melbourne five-eighth then free to negotiate with other clubs on November 1.

The Queensland State of Origin star has been at the centre of a public bidding war between the Storm and Dolphins, while several Sydney clubs will likely show interest next month.

But Munster was adamant on Wednesday any decision was about far more than a just a financial offer.

"It's not money," Munster said.

"I have been lucky enough to be in a competitive team for eight or nine years. Eight consecutive prelim finals.

"To bow out like we did this year is a bit of a sour taste in the mouth. I just want to make sure I pick the right decision and play competitive footy.

"I hate losing, as everyone does when they play competitive sport. I just want to be making sure I am still enjoying my footy and not losing every week.

"Money isn't everything. After seeing Penrith win on Sunday I just want to win it again."

With AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.