Melbourne Storm at centre of contentious head knock drama

Andrew Reid
·4-min read
Pictured here, a groggy Storm hooker Harry Grant lies on the turf after a head knock against the Roosters.
Melbourne's Harry Grant was allowed to stay on the field after a nasty head knock against the Roosters. Pic: Ch9

The NRL are reportedly set to investigate Melbourne over their handling of head knocks to Cameron Munster and Harry Grant during their big win over the Sydney Roosters.

The Storm kept their two star players on the field without a head injury assessment (HIA) despite them both appearing to be concussed.

'UNBELIEVABLE': Never-before-seen moment stuns league world

'FIRE UP': Coach explodes in brutal Brisbane Broncos team talk

'CAN'T BE WORSE': Karmichael Hunt's bid for Broncos NRL return

NRL boss Andrew Abdo told the Sydney Morning Herald that the competition's chief medical officer would examine the decisions.

"Our CMO will check all the angles and footage and see if there were any markers requiring a mandatory HIA," Abdo said.

Munster temporarily left the field but then returned, which left Roosters coach Trent Robinson questioning whether the incident in which he was hurt deserved his lock Victor Radley to be sin-binned.

Radley was charged with a grade two careless high tackle by the match review panel for his shot on Munster.

"He (Radley) got 10 in the bin, because, was he (Munster) knocked out? And then he comes back on 30 seconds later," Robinson said after the match.

"So we get 10 in the bin ... so should it be 10 in the bin? That's up to the refs to explain that."

Try-scoring hooker Grant also remained on the field without a HIA despite a head clash in the second half.

NRL great Johnathan Thurston took aim at NRL officials over that incident in a frustrated post-game spray for officials.

“I want to mention the head knock that he (Harry Grant) got," he said.

"From my understanding, the rules are if you lie motionless on the ground – which he is motionless – don’t you have to come off straight away?

"He stayed out there another 10 minutes, scores a try and was crucial in that period after the head knock as well.

"If the game wants to take the head knock serious, this is what we need to get out of the game.

"Again, he was so damaging after this one and he shouldn’t have been on the field."

The Radley incident represents another potentially damaging blow to the decimated Roosters playing stocks.

Victor Radley is seen here hitting Cameron Munster with a high shot in the Roosters' loss to the Storm.
Roosters forward Victor Radley was sin-binned for a high tackle on Storm playmaker Cameron Munster. Pic: Getty

The 23-year-old Radley has carry-over points from a dangerous contact charge from round four and will miss three games if he fights the current charge and is found guilty.

Should the Roosters elect to enter an early guilty plea Radley will miss two games.

Roosters playing stocks take fresh hit

The Roosters are already set to be without props Siosiua Taukeiaho (rib) and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (shoulder), who were casualties in the 20-4 loss on Friday night.

They may at least have Brett Morris (calf) available for their Anzac Day clash with St George Illawarra after the veteran winger was a late withdrawal in Melbourne.

Cronulla have Aiden Tolman and Jack Williams facing charges stemming from the tight loss to Newcastle.

Prop Tolman could be out for two weeks if found guilty of a crusher tackle on Jacob Saifiti or one week with an early guilty plea.

Second-rower Williams was charged with a grade one dangerous tackle but can opt to pay a fine of $1150 to escape a ban.

Meanwhile, Canterbury plan to appeal the severity of a $20,000 fine for failing to immediately remove Lachlan Lewis from the field after he had suffered a heavy head knock.

The Bulldogs were the first club to be handed a breach notice by the NRL after Lewis stayed on the field for two minutes following an incident during their round four loss to South Sydney.

According to The Daily Telegraph, Bulldogs CEO Aaron Warburton admitted Lewis should have left the field immediately but felt there were mitigating circumstances.

"We completely understand the game can't come down lightly on this issue but, I would like to think, by accessing this breach on its merits, there was a reason why it wasn't quicker than two minutes," Warburton told the newspaper.

with Yahoo Sport staff

Watch 'Mind Games', the new series from Yahoo Sport Australia exploring the often brutal mental toil elite athletes go through in pursuit of greatness:

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.