Ex-NRL star and convicted sex offender Jarryd Hayne has given notice he intends to appeal his imprisonment on sexual assault charges.
Hayne's legal team on Friday lodged a Notice of Intention to appeal in the NSW Supreme Court.
'APPALLING': Hayne's former teammates slammed over reaction
'SAD TO HEAR': Rugby league rocked by death of Roosters legend
He was jailed on Thursday for sexually assaulting a young woman who said the former footballer destroyed her life.
His legal team now has 12 months to lodge a formal appeal.
The ex-Parramatta player was in March convicted of attacking the woman in her NSW Hunter bedroom on the night of the 2018 NRL grand final and forcibly performing oral and digital sexual intercourse on her.
Hayne was sentenced on Thursday to at least three years and eight months in jail and a maximum of five years and nine months.
District Court Judge Helen Syme said Hayne had to be jailed because non-consensual sexual intercourse was an extreme form of violence.
The judge noted Hayne, 33, only stopped attacking the 28-year-old victim when she started to bleed, not when she told him to stop.
She also said she agreed with the jury's view the woman was credible.
"The fact is she said no to the sexual activity the offender was forcing on her ... the offender was fully aware the victim was not consenting," the judge said.
Judge rejects Jarryd Hayne's version of events
Hayne's use of force was such that the victim had no chance to halt his actions, given he had been a professional athlete.
Judge Syme also said it was hard to consider Hayne's prospects of rehabilitation as high, given he continues to maintain his innocence.
The woman in her victim impact statement said she was plagued by constant flashbacks of seeing Hayne's face during the assault.
She said Hayne had destroyed her life and she would never be the same again.
The woman told the court Hayne had made her feel dirty, violated, treated her like an object and had been seeing right through her.
The Crown case argued Hayne arrived drunk at the woman's house on Newcastle's outskirts in a taxi about 9pm on September 30, 2018.
He stayed for about 45 minutes and committed two sex acts on her without her consent, and caused two separate injuries to her genitalia.
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.