NRL launch investigation after notorious figure spotted at trial game

Sam Goodwin
·Sports Editor
·3-min read
Isaac Moses, pictured here in the stands during the NRL trial match between North Sydney and the Canberra Raiders.
Isaac Moses (centre) is seen in the stands during the NRL trial match between North Sydney and the Canberra Raiders. (Photo by Mark Evans/Getty Images)

The NRL are reportedly investigating the presence of banned player agent Isaac Moses at a trial game in Queanbeyan on Saturday.

Moses was spotted in the stands sitting in front of Joseph Suaalii's family as the teenage phenom ran out for the Sydney Roosters' feeder club North Sydney against Canberra at Sieffert Oval.

'COWARD SCUM': Ray Warren's home raided in robbery

'WHAT A JOKE': Rugby league world erupts over 'ridiculous' farce

Spectators were required to register their name and phone number with the Canberra Raiders upon entry into the ground, however Moses reportedly didn't.

“That’s surprising to hear because we needed all the details of every single person here for contact tracing. I can tell you Isaac Moses was not on any list,” Raiders chief executive Don Furner told the Sydney Morning Herald.

Isaac Moses, pictured here sitting in front of Joseph Suaalii's family.
Isaac Moses was sitting in front of Joseph Suaalii's family. (Photo by Mark Evans/Getty Images)

Earlier this month the NRL cancelled Moses' licence for breaching his obligations as an accredited agent back in 2017.

“Mr Moses is not permitted to negotiate NRL playing contracts on behalf of any player,” an NRL spokesperson told the Herald.

“All clubs have been warned they face sanctions if they negotiate player deals with any unaccredited person. 

"There is no restrictions on Mr Moses attending rugby league matches.”

In the final round of trials before the start of the 2021 season, the most anticipated lower grade trial match in history saw Suaalii score a brace for North Sydney.

The 17-year-old showed off the right-foot step that made the Roosters hierarchy go to battle for his signature this season as he scored a try in each half of the Bears' 26-18 win over Canberra.

Joseph Suaalii, pictured here in action for North Sydney Bears against the Canberra Raiders.
Joseph Suaalii in action for North Sydney Bears against the Canberra Raiders. (Photo by Mark Evans/Getty Images)

NRL cancels Isaac Moses' registration

The NRL alleges Moses counselled or assisted then-client Tim Mannah to 'give evidence to the NRL that was false and intended to mislead an investigation by the NRL integrity and compliance unit'.

His de-registration has caused instability for a substantial number of NRL players and coaches who are on his books with The Cove agency.

One of the most powerful figures in the game, Moses managed upwards of 50 of the NRL's biggest names including Cameron Smith, Adam O'Brien, David Klemmer, Tevita Pangai Junior and Mitchell Moses.

It's understood they will now have the opportunity to either cancel their contract with Moses and roll it over with another agent at his company, or find alternative representation.

Should they cancel their contract with Moses, they can pocket the agency fees they would have otherwise paid the company.

However, off-contract players will need to act quickly to negotiate deals for next season, which could affect any negotiations already underway with clubs.

The NRL has previously flagged a crackdown on the influence of player-agents in the game.

Prohibiting agents from representing players and coaches is also a priority for the NRL to prevent conflicts of interest and growing influence at clubs.

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.