Tristan Sailor charged by police over sexual assault allegations

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·Sports Editor
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Tristan Sailor, pictured here in action for the Dragons in 2019.
Tristan Sailor in action for the Dragons in 2019. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)

Rising NRL star Tristan Sailor has been charged with aggravated sexual assault after an alleged incident last weekend.

Sailor, who is set to be released by St George Illawarra at the end of the season, was arrested in Wollongong on Saturday.

SHOCK: NRL finals rocked by Michael Jennings doping scandal

'IT REALLY HURTS’: Erin Molan breaks down in TV interview

Officers searched the home he shares with his parents, including his father and former Wallabies and Kangaroos star Wendell Sailor.

Tristan Sailor has been refused bail, and is due to face Wollongong Local Court on Sunday.

“Police will allege in court that the man sexually assaulted the woman, during which she sustained injuries, at a home in Sydney's south last Saturday,” police said in a statement.

Both the NRL and the Dragons are aware of the situation, which involves a 24-year-old woman.

“The club is taking the matter very seriously and will continue to work with Tristan and all relevant authorities,” the Dragons said in a statement.

“The NRL integrity unit has also been made aware.

“While Tristan won’t be at the Dragons in 2021, the club will continue to provide any necessary welfare support as he comes to terms with the matter.”

Tristan Sailor unwanted at Dragons

Sailor is currently on the hunt for a new club after being told he isn’t part of new coach Anthony Griffin’s plans at St George Illawarra next year.

After making his debut in 2019, Sailor has only made five appearances in first grade.

A former Queensland under-20s player, he was expected to attract plenty of interest from clubs once further details of next year's salary cap and roster numbers were finalised.

The 22-year-old playmaker remains part of the Dragons club until his current contract expires on October 31.

Wendell Sailor recently slammed the decision to let him walk away from the club where he played 33 games in the twilight of his career.

“He got two games off the bench and was expected to pull off the miracle play with limited game time,” Wendell Sailor told Wide World of Sports last month.

“Now they say he is not wanted – my wife and I are very disappointed that he never got the opportunity to show what he's got on the field.

“He's done everything right all year. He couldn't even come to my mum's funeral because he was in the bubble, but he accepted that and now they cut him.”

Wendell Sailor, pictured here with son Tristan after his NRL debut in 2019.
Wendell Sailor congratulates son Tristan after his NRL debut in 2019. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting