Anthony Seibold’s lawyer has revealed a “person of prominence” had “blacked out” their social media channels after the Brisbane Broncos coach launched legal action over vile rumours about his personal life.
Seibold has hired lawyers and is expected to take police action over a number of awful rumours that have been doing the rounds online.
‘DIDN’T BITE HIM’: Explosive twist in Kevin Proctor scandal
On Monday, Seibold’s legal team said they are expecting a report from European cybersecurity investigators in the coming days.
It is expected the report will identify those responsible for spreading the rumours.
Dave Garratt, head of Seibold’s legal team, claims “a prominent name” is in the spotlight.
“It’s quite unexpected. It’s not just random trolls,” Garratt told The Sydney Morning Herald.
“There is a lot of activity online at the moment so the guys are watching that.
“They’re watching people and by this afternoon or early tomorrow we will have a road map as to where we go from here.”
Garratt later told The Australian the “person of prominence” had “blacked out” their social media accounts when news of the investigation became public.
“The minute it came out that there was cyber-people involved, someone shut down their account straight away - all their social media went pretty much black,” he said.
“They won’t tell me their name, but it went black. A prominent name.
“The report will say who generated the messages, who made the allegations and where they forwarded them on to.
“I can see some nervous people in the next 24 hours.”
Anthony Seibold slams ‘disgusting’ rumours
Seibold was forced to break the NRL’s biosecurity bubble to deal with a “serious” family matter two weeks ago.
On Sunday he lashed out at the “disgusting” rumours about his family.
“I understand I’m in a high-profile position at a high profile club. But this is my family and other people mentioned in those disgusting and false messages,” Seibold told the Daily Telegraph.
“They don’t ask to be in the spotlight. Say whatever you want about my coaching and the team’s performances but to make up lies and all that abuse … it’s sickening and I’m not going to cop it.”
The 45-year-old also hit out at the NRL, claiming no one had been in touch with him since he took his leave of absence.
“I feel angry. I thought someone could have reached out,” he said.
“Even just a phone call to check in. It’s been bloody hard.
“As a game, are we going to just accept it? I’d hate any other coach or player to go through what I have this last week.”
A spokesman for the NRL told The Daily Telegraph a member of their wellbeing department had attempted to contact the Broncos but hadn’t managed to get in touch with Seibold.