Teenager enters plea in Kotoni Staggs leaked sex-tape case

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
A 50-50 split image shows McKenzie Lorraine Robinson on the left and Brisbane Broncos player Kotoni Staggs on the right.
McKenzie Lorraine Robinson, 18, did not appear in court to plead guilty to a charge of distributing a prohibited visual recording of her and Brisbane Broncos player Kotoni Staggs. Pictures: AAP/Getty Images

A teenager will plead guilty to releasing a sex tape involving Brisbane Broncos centre Kotoni Staggs, a court has been told.

McKenzie Lorraine Robinson, 18, was not in Brisbane Magistrates Court on Wednesday when the charge of distributing a prohibited visual recording was heard.

'BE HONEST': Cameron Smith slammed over 'delusional' claims

WOW: NRL's shock Dally M call over Nathan Cleary's TikTok stunt

The teenager allegedly shared the recording of Mr Staggs between June 14 and August 5 without Staggs’ consent.

Lawyers for the teen previously said she never intended to share the video and deeply regretted its release.

“It was not Ms Robinson that made this private video go public,” defence lawyer Jason Jacobson said outside the same court on September 3.

“That was never intended by her and she very much regrets that it did and she very much regrets the impact that it caused for Mr Staggs.

“There is an explanation as to how this happened and that will be put to the court at a later date.”

However, on Wednesday the court was told she would plead guilty.

Despite the embarrassment for the Bronco, Staggs was cleared of any wrongdoing by the NRL’s integrity unit after the video was released.

Robinson’s case was adjourned for a plea to be entered on October 16.

Kevin Walters signs with Broncos, quits Maroons

Queensland will need to find a new coach for this year's State of Origin campaign with Kevin Walters' signing to be Brisbane's new NRL head coach.

The 52-year-old has signed a two-year contract to take charge at the Broncos and will immediately step down from his Maroons' role.

A former captain and five-time premiership winner with the Broncos, Walters' appointment comes almost two years after he missed out on the coach's role to Anthony Seibold.

Kevin Walters is pictured during a press conference.
Kevin Walters has stood down from his role as Queensland coach on the eve of joining the Brisbane Broncos. (Getty Images)

"I love the Brisbane Broncos - this club is part of who I am and it feels like I am coming home," he said.

"I've put in a lot of work over the past 15 years to learn and gain the experience that's required to succeed in this role, so I feel that I'm ready."

Walters faces a mammoth task to transform Brisbane after the worst season in their 32-year history.

In a far cry from his playing days, the Broncos finished last for the first time in the NRL with just three wins in 2020.

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting