New videos have emerged of Nathan Cleary that appear to contradict the NRL star’s excuse for breaking social-distancing rules.
On Tuesday the 22-year-old was fined by NSW Police and sanctioned by the NRL for being photographed with a group of women flouting the public health order on Anzac Day.
‘BEYOND BELIEF’: Premier's fury over 'inexcusable' virus breaches
‘ALL AT RISK’: Ugly truth behind NRL stars' virus breaches
The NSW State of Origin star apologised for his actions and said the girls were his sister’s friends and only there for about 10 minutes.
He also claimed he didn’t know photos had been taken of him.
However new videos of Cleary dancing with the girls for a Tik Tok video appear to contradict those claims.
The videos show Cleary fully aware he was being recorded and willingly participating in the dance.
According to The Daily Telegraph the NRL were shown the videos on Wednesday morning and the integrity unit is investigating.
“It throws into question the Panthers halfback’s claims that he was unaware of photographs that had been taken of him,” The Telegraph wrote.
Nathan Cleary apologises for virus breach
The NRL slapped him with a $4000 fine and a one-game ban suspended on Tuesday provided he shows good behaviour.
The NSW State of Origin star labelled his behaviour “naive” in an apology for breaking social-distancing laws on Anzac Day.
“I just want to apologise, as a role model in the community it's obviously not good enough,” he told Channel Nine.
“I've been in the RLPA meetings and know all about these rules which leaves me no excuse for the naivety that I've showed. I shouldn't have done it and I stuffed up.”
Cleary explained while what he did was wrong, a visit from the group of girls was unplanned and he was unaware a photo was taken.
“My sister's friends and girls that I have grown up with were drinking down the road on the street and they came by and popped in and said they were just waiting for an Uber before they went to someone else's house,” he said, estimating the group was in his house for no longer than 10 minutes.
“Obviously in the time that they were here there was a photo taken, I had no idea about it until this morning.”
The controversy is a huge blow to the NRL’s plans to play a 20-game season starting May 28, with the league seeking final approval from the Australian government.
It also comes after fellow NSW teammates Latrell Mitchell and Josh Addo-Carr were also fined for breaking the public health order over the weekend.
On Tuesday the duo received $50,000 fines, $30,000 of them and a one-match ban suspended.
They were later charged with firearms offences and have been asked to attend court in August.