Nathan Cleary snapped with group of women in fresh NRL virus scandal

Nathan Cleary is under investigation over the photos from Anzac Day. Images: Nine News

Nathan Cleary has become the latest NRL player to be caught up in a social-distancing drama after images of the Penrith halfback emerged with a group of girls.

The Nine Network broadcast photos of Cleary with a group of at least five girls, that were reportedly taken on Anzac Day.

‘NO EXCUSE’: Phil Gould slams 'irresponsible' Nathan Cleary breach

‘THAT’S RUBBISH’: NRL stars savaged over race card 'cop-out'

Nine reported the NSW halfback has apologised to his Penrith teammates and claimed the girls were a group of friends who had arrived at his house.

It's believed Penrith had just hours earlier contacted the NRL about the photos after learning of their existence, with the league looking into the matter.

“He’s explained to me that they are some of his friends. They popped into his place on Anzac Day on their way to getting an Uber,” Nine reporter Danny Weidler said on Tuesday.

“He realised pretty quickly that this was not a situation that he should be in and after a short stay they left.

“He is very, very apologetic about what has happened.

“He knows he has done the wrong thing and he takes full responsibility for all of that.”

Nathan Cleary in action for the Panthers in 2018. (Photo by Anthony Au-Yeung/Getty Images)

Latest black eye for NRL amid virus crisis

The Cleary controversy comes just 24 hours after Latrell Mitchell and Josh Addo-Carr were fined $1000 each by NSW Police for breaking social-distancing laws.

Mitchell and Addo-Carr both apologised for a weekend gathering at a property near Taree, with Mitchell admitting the Kangaroos stars had “slipped up”.

The NRL's integrity unit will also continue its investigations, as police revealed Addo-Carr had also previously been warned for breaking the Public Health Act.

Photos posted by Addo-Carr showed the pair with 10 other men around a fire, prompting the NRL to label the pictures as disappointing and unacceptable.

He was also seen shooting a gun and riding a dirt bike without a helmet, while NRL-contracted Newcastle fringe player Tyronne Roberts-Davis is seen in one of the photos.

Josh Addo-Carr is now being investigated for firearms offences during the camping trip with Latrell Mitchell. Image: Instagram

“Police have been told a group of more than 10 men were at a gathering on a rural property near Taree on Saturday 25 April, in contravention of current ministerial directions,” NSW Police said in a statement.

“Following extensive inquiries, three men - two aged 22 and one aged 24 - have been issued with $1000 (fines) for failing to comply with a ministerial direction.

“The 24-year-old had previously received a warning for breaching the Public Health Act.

“Inquiries are continuing to identify the other persons and continue investigations.

“Investigations are also continuing into other potential offences, including potential breaches of the Firearms Act (1996) at the Taree property.”

The fine also came on the same day the league further pushed its claim for a return, discussing its strict biosecurity rules with clubs on Monday afternoon.

The drama could not have come at a worse time for the NRL as it attempts to convince the government it can safely resume its season on May 28, ahead of other major codes.

Proposed NRL biosecurity rules for the season resumption will make players stay home - with no visitors allowed - except when training, playing, making visits to the doctor and doing essential food shopping.

The NRL has threatened teams with the loss of points and heavy fines if any player breaks the rules, and say they will further educate players before next week's planned resumption of training.

with Yahoo Sports Staff