Brisbane Broncos in hot water over 'disgraceful' post-match act

Sam Goodwin
Sports Editor
The Broncos were completely humiliated by the Roosters. (AAP Image/Darren England)

The Brisbane Broncos are reportedly facing a fine from the NRL after players refused to front the media after their 59-0 loss to the Roosters on Thursday night.

It was like Groundhog Day for Brisbane after they crashed to their worst NRL home loss ever, routed by the merciless premiers.

CONTROVERSY: Erin Molan's Polynesian 'joke' falls flat

MASSIVE NO-NO: Bulldogs legend breaks virus protocols

The Broncos were so embarrassed post-game that coach Anthony Seibold claimed players couldn't even look at their teammates after being “bullied” in the 10-try romp that he described as “men against boys”.

Players couldn't even face the media, opting not to attend the post-match press conference despite being obligated to do so under NRL guidelines.

According to the Courier Mail, the club is now facing a fine.

“With biosecurity protocols preventing media from entering dressing rooms, the players have been directed to conduct interviews in the post-match press conference room,” the Courier Mail pointed out.

The NRL’s media guidelines state: “It is important that players and clubs are able to promote the game as much as possible under the circumstances and provide content for supporters.”

Broncos legend Steve Renouf described the Broncos’ act as ‘disgraceful’.

“That’s disgraceful not attending a media conference. It’s unprofessional,” he said.

“You face the music. You face the media and take it on the chin.

“You have to talk to the fans and that’s leadership and part of your growth as a player to talk to the fans and tell them you are embarrassed.

“It’s not good enough. The Broncos players should have a good look at themselves.”

Anthony Seibold addressed the media after the Brisbane Broncos' thrashing. (Photo by Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images)

Coach defends Broncos amid fierce criticism

The Roosters also reportedly failed to send players to the media scrum, however away teams have been given special leniency when flying out the same night as games.

There was no shortage of critics after Brisbane experienced their worst loss in club history for the second time in five games.

Immortal Andrew Johns labelled them “soft”, while Queensland great Paul Vautin said they were “diabolical” and “pathetic”.

Sensing the backlash to come, Seibold took full responsibility just like he did at their last record defeat not so long ago - a 58-0 finals loss to Parramatta last year.

But he believed the yardstick could not be applied to his side until they were back to full strength.

“With almost $4 million worth of salary cap out I thought it was the best side we could come up with,” Seibold said.

“We have come out of Covid and haven't fired a shot. Can we turn it around in a week - I am not sure.

“The scoreboard and the performance was totally unacceptable (but) I believe in the group but this their journey - I just didn't think it would be so bumpy.”

with AAP