- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
It was all in good fun, but Nick Kyrgios showed no mercy to NSW premier Dominic Perrottet in a charity basketball match on Sunday afternoon.
The enigmatic tennis superstar, also a noted NBA fan, had his foot to the floor as he took on the NSW premier as part of the Sydney Kings’ Starlight Celebrity Game.
'UNACCEPTABLE': Novak Djokovic under fire over ball kid incident
Though it was a friendly, star-studded hitout to raise money for children's cancer charity Starlight, Kyrgios couldn't help but send one of Perrottet's shots packing in devastating fashion.
Kyrgios' display of 16 points, two rebounds and two blocks caught the attention of NBL commentator Corey 'Homicide' Williams.
On Twitter, he said Kyrgios 'ain't no joke' despite the relatively low-speed competition.
"OMG Nick Kyrgios put a series of moves on the NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet in the Celebrity ASG and hit the bucket," he wrote on Twitter.
"He blocked his shot twice 2. 16points 2 dimes 2 blocks in 20minutes. Even in a celebrity game he’s going hard. My man Nick ain’t no joke."
Kyrgios led the way for his team, which was captained by 2GB radio host Ben Fordham, to a 37-13 victory over Perrottet's side.
📹 The Nick Kyrgios Celebrity Game Mixtape 📹
Tennis star @NickKyrgios showed off his skillset for Team Fordham in the @SydneyKings Celeb game getting buckets and a win for his squad 🔥 pic.twitter.com/avaBdOyW52
— The NBL (@NBL) April 24, 2022
OMG @NickKyrgios put a series of moves on the NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet in the Celebrity ASG and hit the bucket. He blocked his shot twice 2. 16points 2 dimes 2 blocks in 20minutes. Even in a celebrity game he’s going hard. My man Nick ain’t no joke. #MustSeeTV
— Corey “Homicide” Williams (@chomicide) April 24, 2022
Clearly aware of Kyrgios' athleticism, Perrottet quipped for Fordham after the game that the teams might need to be looked at a bit more closely next year.
“The premier has spoken - Kyrgios will be on his team next time,” Fordham said afterwards.
“We came away with the victory but Starlight was the biggest winner.
“Dom Perrottet was a good sport and put his reputation on the line. Nick Kyrgios was off his game a bit so I expect more from him next year.”
Kyrgios back in Australia following latest tennis controversy
The 26-year-old has returned to Australia to prepare for Wimbledon later this year, after his controversial exit from the US Men’s Clay Court Championship in Houston earlier in April.
Kyrgios had already been fined a total of $US60,000 ($A80,000) after losing in Indian Wells and Miami recently and could face even more penalties after blowing a gasket in Houston.
Once again, the 26-year-old engaged in an expletive-laden exchange with a chair umpire, berating the official over a call that the umpire later admitted he got wrong.
The incident led to renewed calls for the governing body in men's tennis - the ATP - to crack down harder on the repeat offender and issue him with a ban.
However, Kyrgios has revealed a much more alarming extent of the backlash against him, by pointing out some of the vile messages sent to him by trolls on social media.
One message read: “You are f***ing dead watch your back.”
Another user wrote: “F*** you you piece of s**t. Quit tennis.”
Kyrgios' latest meltdown in the United States came after a contentious call by chair umpire Joshua Brace in the Aussie's Houston semi-final against Opelka.
With the score at 5-5 in the second set, Brace didn’t call an Opelka return long and Kyrgios asked: “What do you mean, you don’t know from there? Where are you supposed to see it from? It was out, bro!
“He wins that point when the ball was out. What are you guys actually doing out here?”
Brace then replied: “If it was out, then I did miss it. ”
And Kyrgios answered: “Well, congratulations.”
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.