NFL world in shock after Damar Hamlin's sickening collapse

Paramedics gave CPR to Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin for nearly 10 minutes before he could be loaded into an ambulance.

An ambulance takes Damar Hamilin, safety for the Buffalo Bills, to hospital as devastated teammate console one another. Pictures: Getty Images

The NFL match-up between the Buffalo Bills and Cincinnati Bengals has been temporarily suspended after a scary incident which saw Bills player Damar Hamlin taken from the field in an ambulance. The 24-year-old safety stood up after making a seemingly innocuous tackle before collapsing to the ground.

Medicall attention was immediately called for Hamlin, with broadcasters reporting paramedics performed CPR on the Bills star for up to 10 minutes. He was soon placed on a stretcher and lifted into a waiting ambulance while clearly shaken-up teammates and opponents watched on.

WOW: Minnesota Vikings re-write NFL history in 'unbelievable' 122-year first

'ABSURD': Uproar over missed detail in Aussie's epic moment

It was a sombre scene in Ohio, with the temporary suspension of the match, which was mid-way through the first quarter, soon announced by the Bengals. The ambulance carrying Hamlin was given a police escort to a nearby hospital.

Reports from the ground indicated Hamlin not only needed CPR, but also needed the aid of an automated external defibrillator (AED) before being loaded into the ambulance. Not just NFL fans, but sporting fans worldwide, were left shocked by the incident.

Social media was flooded with prayers and well-wishes for the 24-year-old, who was selected in the sixth round of the 2021 NFL Draft. Many were horrified by the seemingly innocuous nature of Hamlin's collision with Bengals opponent Tee Higgins.

NFL match postponed after horrifying Damar Hamlin incident

Reporters at the stadium said Hamlin was given CPR on the field. More than 15 minutes passed from the time Hamlin collapsed to when he was taken off the field. Both coaches met with the officials, and a little more than 20 minutes after Hamlin collapsed, officials said the game was temporarily suspended. Both teams headed back to the locker room.

It was a frightening situation. ESPN showed several players, including Bills quarterback Josh Allen, who were obviously emotional over what they had seen. Bills receiver Stefon Diggs was in tears on the field.

“I’ve never seen anything like that before,” a somber Kurt Warner said on the NFL Radio broadcast.

After the injury, both coaches met with the on-field officials. At about 9:17 p.m, a little more than 20 minutes after Hamlin collapsed, officials said the game was temporarily suspended.

The call on whether to postpone or continue the game was up to the NFL and specifically commissioner Roger Goodell, ESPN said. ESPN showed footage of Bills coach Sean McDermott and Bengals coach Zac Taylor taking turns talking on a cell phone outside of the locker rooms underneath the stadium, then sharing a brief hug. Shortly after, the report came that the game was suspended.

With Yahoo Sport US

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.