Nine-year-old swimming kid embraces the season of giving

Eurosport, Yahoo!7 Updated December 19, 2013, 11:29 am

'Tis the season for good deeds and on December 7, one young swimmer's selfless act secured his position on the "nice" list.

Nine-year-old Josh Zuchowski found out that his biggest rival, 10-year-old Reese Branzell, was being hospitalised for a bacterial infection and decided to race in his honour.

At the Santa Claus Invitational in West Palm Beach, Zuchowski won five gold medals and clinched the trophy for the meet's top point-getter.

He promptly handed the hardware to Branzell's coach along with a note that read:

"I am so sorry that you have not been feeling well. Get well soon. So we can get back to battling in the pool. I have looked up to you since I was seven.

"You were an inspiration for me wanting to swim fast. I would rather get second with you at the meet then win with you absent. I won this trophy for you today. I hope to see (you) back in the pool. Your friend, Josh.’’

= Thanks to Yahoo UK blog =

1. rob01:21am Friday 20th December 2013 ESTReport Abuse

all you sad sacks put a little love in your heart, good to see sportsmanship,

2. Hugh09:54pm Thursday 19th December 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Bit slow on the reporting ? See the letter is dated the 7th of this month & today is the 19th = 12 days old. I think there's elements of truth in the BS view. We see it all too often these days where media & advertising people portray adult views/themes through younger children such as Josh. Also aren't kids taught to use ruled pages for any writing to at least keep the writing straight ? Also nil spelling mistakes or corrections apart from the " i " correction. Smells like a fabrication to me ? What 9 year old thinks about compassion & thoughtfulness ? I've had 4 kids & non ever thought like that at 9 & even older ? Prompting & cohersion from parents could result in a letter like that ? Pox on story beat ups.

3. Byron09:49pm Thursday 19th December 2013 ESTReport Abuse

It's not "heartwarming". It's merely logical.

4. macca09:19pm Thursday 19th December 2013 ESTReport Abuse

I agree withe poster who says it is all BS. Just a put-up feel good story. The internet is loaded with them. Believe that story & you are the type open to be conned by scams.

5. Jeremy07:09pm Thursday 19th December 2013 ESTReport Abuse

People always say younger generations are somehow inferior. I disagree whole-heartedly, as a primary school teacher whose students are already more useful and morally balanced than many selfish, ignorant adults.

6. fatima06:50pm Thursday 19th December 2013 ESTReport Abuse

That's all BS.............. No nine year old kid carries on like that. That was prompted by his parents, or other adults, to get the media attention it has. Anyone who believes that story must also still believe in Santa Claus!

7. Sharon Henderson06:29pm Thursday 19th December 2013 ESTReport Abuse

What a beautiful thing for a young boy to do without prompting from anyone. This young boy is a true hero in my eyes. God Bless him

8. Ipeealot06:10pm Thursday 19th December 2013 ESTReport Abuse

What is in your heart, is what is in your heart.

9. Garrie06:09pm Thursday 19th December 2013 ESTReport Abuse

That young man is way better than most adults.

10. Michael05:59pm Thursday 19th December 2013 ESTReport Abuse

That, people is an example of true sportmanship. Good to know that not all is lost in this world.