Thurston may miss Origin opener

Yahoo!7 February 2, 2013, 9:45 am

New South Wales have been given an early boost ahead of this year’s State of Origin series with news Johnathan Thurston may be forced to miss game one for the birth of his first child.

It has been revealed that the Maroons five-eighth and partner Samantha Lynch are expecting a June 5 arrival – the same night as the Origin opener.

Lynch says she would fully support her fiancé if he decides to play on the night, but Thurston is determined not to miss the birth and says he will withdraw from Origin I if the arrival was imminent.

“She’s a proud Queenslander and she doesn’t want me to miss the game,” Thurston said. “But I’m not too sure whether I want to miss the birth of my first child.”

“Not many babies actually do come on the due date, they’re a few days before or a few days after so we’ll see.”

Thurston recalled the moment he and Samantha learned of the potential clash.

“It wasn’t until we got back to the club and looked at the schedule that we realized it was smack bang in the middle of Origin,” he said. “We couldn’t actually believe it.”

With the Blues staring down the barrel of an eighth consecutive series defeat, the loss of Thurston would certainly be a huge mental boost.

1. Lesley03:55pm Saturday 02nd February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

What a load of cods wollop the headlines "NSW fans hoping J T misses 1st Origin Game" Win or lose, those born in NSW are still the better breed, and I've lived in both states.

2. Julian03:12pm Saturday 02nd February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

lol@Robert! The Blooze will clutch at ANY straw!...Another White Wash coming up this year! A Star Team will always beat a Team of Stars!...I play Videos of Maroons victories at least once a week...somtimes every day. The Billy Slater tries are the best...he is always having a good time, bamboozling the lumbering Thugs!

3. Julian03:08pm Saturday 02nd February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Queensland will STILL win...but we want Thursto to be involved!

4. Julian03:07pm Saturday 02nd February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Take his missus for a bumby motorcycle ride two days before the projected date! PLEASE!!!

5. Robert02:51pm Saturday 02nd February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

WoW! NSW will take any little hope they can get! seriously could you get any desperate!

6. greg02:50pm Saturday 02nd February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Just when I thought it couldn't get any better with Thomson being charged and Chris Evans resigning now Nicola Roxon! And to top it all of pictures of Julia in tears. That reallymade my day. I wonder who is the next rat to jump of the sinking ship. CJ, Red Herring hope your getting all of this. SUCK IT UP!!! hahahaha

7. 01:58pm Saturday 02nd February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

good on you JT family should come before everything else you just get better and better in my eyes

8. smally01:51pm Saturday 02nd February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Get real you young fellas,we used to say "you have to be there for the laying of the keel but not for the launching" ,so get to work and do your job.

9. robert01:30pm Saturday 02nd February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Queensland will win without him...and they'll win well.

10. Leasa12:48pm Saturday 02nd February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

The way the first paragraph has been worded makes it sound like he doesn't have a choice. I applaud his decision to be there for the birth and it should not be something that is made to sound like someone is holding a gun to his head to be there if Samantha is in labour on that night. To be honest, I would also applaud him if bubs arrives just before the game and he decides not to play, preferring to spend time with his new family.