Jockey Michael Walker admitted he was devastated he couldn't win the Melbourne Cup for his family.
He came close after initially finishing third on Prince Of Arran, only to be bumped up to second as the result of a protest.
'YOU ARE A MORON': Trainer explodes over Melbourne Cup criticism
MELBOURNE CUP MAYHEM: The funniest photos from Flemington
'I FEEL LIKE CRYING': Controversial Cup jockey cops huge ban
Walker said he has shut down his social media after copping online abuse following a penalty for excessive use of the whip during the Melbourne Cup.
However, it was Walker's excessive use of the whip that has overshadowed his effort and landed the jockey in hot water.
Walker has been suspended for seven meetings and fined $10,000 for breaching the whip rule, having used it 12 times before the 100m mark.
That is seven times more than regulations permit.
Racing Victoria texted all jockeys before the race, warning them that severe penalties would be handed down to anyone in breach of the rules.
The 35-year-old - who was also pinged for the same offence last year - was at a loss to explain himself after the race.
"I had thoughts of winning the Melbourne Cup," Walker told stewards.
"I lost my style, I lost my balance and I lost my mind."
Third across the line, Prince Of Arran was elevated to second behind Vow And Declare after a stewards' protest.
As Walker was leaving home for Tuesday's meeting, he promised his daughter Layla that he would win the Melbourne Cup.
Tuesday was Layla's 11th birthday and the jockey admits missing out on the win for her wad the hardest part.
"I'm very family orientated and I feel like I've let her down," Walker said.
"That's what has hit me the hardest.
"Then getting elevated to second probably makes it hurt a little bit more.
"But the horse ran super and Charlie and the team have done a tremendous job."
Walker's suspension starts after he rides at the Oaks day meeting at Flemington on Thursday.
Dettori also handed significant penalty
Globe-trotting jockey Frankie Dettori’s race went from bad to worse despite crossing the line second in the Melbourne Cup.
Dettori partnered the Lloyd and Nick Williams-owned, Joseph O'Brien-trained Master Of Reality who was beaten a head by Vow And And Declare in Tuesday's race.
It was the third time in 17 Melbourne Cup appearances Dettori had been second across the line following Central Park in 1999 and Max Dynamite in 2015.
"I feel like crying," Dettori said.
Things got worse for Dettori when a stewards' protest was lodged on behalf of the connections of fourth placegetter, Il Paradisio ridden by Wayne Lordan, against Dettori resulting in Master Of Reality being relegated to fourth.
At a subsequent stewards inquiry, Dettori pleaded guilty to a careless riding charge, deemed in the low range, and suspended for nine meetings.
Dettori will begin the ban immediately and will have to delay the start of a four-week contract to ride in Japan.