Aussie Rules icon Warwick Capper was rushed to hospital in Melbourne on Wednesday evening, requiring emergency surgery for a burst appendix.
The colourful footy personality is recovering in Box Hill Hospital, telling the Herald Sun he had initially mistaken his symptoms for a bad case of food poisoning.
'HAVEN’T GROWN UP': Judge hammers grand final pitch invaders
Describing being in ‘excruciating pain’, Capper eventually sought help from his neighbour, a doctor, who quickly had the former Sydney Swans star rushed to hospital.
Capper underwent emergency surgery, which was successful, and is likely to remain in hospital for several days for observation.
“It was life and death, but I had the best doctors looking after me,” he told the Herald Sun.
Former AFL star Warwick Capper has revealed he almost died after his appendix burst, leading to emergency surgery.
Capper will spend around 10 days in hospital as doctors try to clear his system of a deadly infection. @cstanaway #9News pic.twitter.com/JmQx56UyEl
— 9News Melbourne (@9NewsMelb) December 9, 2020
“(The doctors) said I could have got septicaemia because my appendix burst and the infection could have got into my bloodstream, and it’s very dangerous.
“They said it was touch and go for bit there, but they were positive they could fix me.”
Capper played 124 games and booted 388 goals throughout his VFL/AFL career, before becoming a colourful off-field personality after retiring.
The Herald Sun reported Capper had been in pain for some time before seeking aid.
The enigmatic former star paid tribute to his neighbour, doctors at Box Hill hospital and his fiancee, Lisa Arroca.
“If it wasn’t for them, I would have been in big trouble,” Capper said.
“I’m looking forward to getting better so I can get back to the local footy and cricket clubs and see the kids.”
Jordan De Goey re-signs with Collingwood
Dynamic Collingwood forward Jordan De Goey's long-anticipated two-year AFL contract extension has been confirmed by the Magpies.
The 24-year-old recommitting to the club is a much-needed boost for Collingwood after a tumultuous off-season, blighted by having to offload players to free up salary cap space.
De Goey, who is managed by his father, had been toying with the idea of moving to another club, but is sticking around until at least the end of 2022.
He played 10 games in 2020, missing two months of action after having finger surgery.
De Goey is set to appear in court in April on one count of indecent assault from an alleged incident in 2015.
Collingwood also spruiked Brody Mihocek's re-signing, even though Magpies list manager Ned Guy let slip the forward's three-year contract extension last month.
Guy on Tuesday lauded Mihocek's efforts in establishing himself in the AFL after landing at Collingwood as a mature-age recruit in 2017.
"Brody is such a bankable performer and popular teammate," Guy said.
"Everyone at Collingwood has loved what he has been able to achieve by bringing as much as he has to the team and we're really pleased he will be with us for at least another three seasons."
Veteran tagger Levi Greenwood will play on in to a 14th AFL season after signing a one-year deal.
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.