'Give me a break': Peter FitzSimons tees off on 'ridiculous' Israel Folau request

Peter FitzSimons has unleashed a stunning tirade against Israel Folau, describing his demand for an apology from Rugby Australia as ‘unbelievable’.

The outspoken rugby journalist was also less than impressed with Folau’s interview with radio host and former Wallabies coach Alan Jones, labelling it ‘ridiculous’.

Mediation between Rugby Australia and Folau last week was not successful, with the sacked player now likely to go ahead with proceedings in Federal Court.

HUGE CLAIM: ‘We’d have no sponsors’: RA chair slams Folau

Folau claims he was unfairly dismissed by Rugby Australia on the ground of his religion, after posting that homosexuals, among others’ would go to hell unless they turned to Christianity.

“Last year you put up a post that caused rugby to bleed for three weeks,” FitzSimons said on Channel 9’s Sports Sunday program.

“It was a disaster. Despite that, rugby signed you up for four by a million dollars for four years.

“Here we are in April this year, you put up just about the same post.

“You know, and you’ve acknowledged this, that at the moment you press send you will put rugby, your teammates, your teams, through exactly the same agony as last year.

“What happened? We’ve been engulfed by two months of this nonsense, this disaster...and you think rugby owes you an apology?

Peter FitzSimons has described Israel Folau's demand for an apology from Rugby Australia as 'ridiculous'. Pictures: Channel 9/Getty Images

“In the words of the late Peter Frilingos, ‘that’ll do me’.”

FitzSimons wasn’t done there, tearing into Folau’s highly publicised interview with Jones soon after.

“As for the Alan Jones interview, give me a break,” he said.

“That was no interview, that was a defence attorney leading his client through the whole thing...it was ridiculous.”

Court dates looming for Folau

Rugby Australia and Israel Folau have failed to reach an agreement over the ex-Wallaby's sacking after a nearly four-hour meeting at the Fair Work Commission.

The dispute now appears destined for the Federal Court.

“Very, very disappointed by the outcome,” Folau told reporters in Sydney.

“I’d like to thank all those who have supported me throughout this time.

“I will continue to stand up for the freedoms of all Australians.”

Folau’s lawyer George Haros said they’re likely to pursue action in court.

“It appears as though, unless things change, then we will be heading for court,” he said.