Gorden Tallis has declared Mitchell Moses undeserving of the $1 million-plus contract offers he's received from the Eels and Tigers, saying he's not on the same level as Panthers rival Nathan Cleary. Moses' future appears no closer to being finalised amid a stand-off with the Eels, who have reportedly offered the halfback $1.1 million per season for four more years at the club.
The Wests Tigers are said to be willing to offer $1.5 million per season for five years to get Moses back to the club where he made his NRL debut, while the Roosters denied reports on Wednesday that they are targeting the halfback as well. Moses is reportedly unhappy with the four-year offer from the Eels and wants to get a fifth year added.
'REAL TROUBLES': Matty Johns lets rip at underperforming Cowboys
But discussing the situation on Wednesday night, Tallis said Moses should take what he can get and declared he's not worth the sort of money being offered to him. The Broncos great pointed out that Moses hasn't won a premiership or State of Origin series, unlike Panthers star Cleary.
“He hasn’t won - and that’s a winner’s cheque,” Tallis said on NRL 360 in regard to the multimillion-dollar offers. “That’s a (Nathan) Cleary cheque, that’s a State of Origin player. He had a chance to win a grand final (and didn’t).
“If you look at (Allan) Langer and all those great halfbacks that got that money, that are in that realm, they were winners. They were playing Origin and getting the job done.
“This is not a knock on him but the money that he’s asking - you have to get the job done in the first three weeks. That’s really good money.”
The uncertainty surrounding Moses' future appears to be affecting the Eels on the field. Last year's runners up have lost their first three matches in 2023, and could wind up 0-5 with tricky games against the Panthers and Roosters coming up.
"Mitchell needs to stand up (and act). Otherwise it’s going to be the headline until it goes away," Tallis said.
Parramatta urged to withdraw offer to Mitchell Moses
Speaking on Tuesday night, NRL 360 panellist Paul Crawley called on the Eels to withdraw their contract offer due to Moses keeping them in the dark. “So the Eels fans just sit back and cop that, the Eels as a club sit back and cop that, you’ve put a $5 million contract on the table,” Crawley said.
“So you’re telling me he’s a $500,000 better player than Clint Gutherson? Every loss they bank up, do you take $50,000 off his contract? Parramatta have to be firm now and say ‘the contract’s not here now’.”
Paul Kent added: “At what point to Parramatta go 'it’s not $1.2 million, it’s now $1.1 or it is now $950,000? At what point do they do that when these close games they have lost… in all three they have had the opportunity to win and haven’t got over the line, and a lot of that comes down to your halfback.”
Meanwhile, Roosters chairman Nick Politis has strongly denied suggestions from Kent that Moses could end up at the Bondi club. Politis told the Daily Telegraph: “We’re not interested. We’re more than happy with Sam Walker as our halfback."
Kent reported on Tuesday night: “There’s rumours going around, I have not had anyone confirm them, that the Roosters are seeing out whether (Luke) Keary is going to get through the season okay. It is a smart move by Moses’ management if they are going to do that, if he’s holding out just to see what pops up. He still has another year at Parramatta with an option."
Sign up to our newsletter and score the biggest sport stories of the week.