Disturbing new detail emerges about cause of Tiger Woods crash

·Sports Editor
·2-min read
Tiger Woods, pictured here before his car crash.
Tiger Woods suffered career-threatening leg injuries in the crash. Image: Getty

Confronting new details have emerged about the moments before Tiger Woods' horror car crash, which led to a three-week hospital stay and major surgery.

According to TMZ Sports, the latest information from the crash investigation is that Woods "started accelerating shortly before the crash" and there's "no evidence he took his foot off the gas."

WILD: Adam Scott's epic save from alligator-infested waters

BRUTAL: Paige Spiranac trolls Bryson DeChambeau over fail

"Investigators believe Tiger did nothing to prevent the crash once he lost control of the vehicle," TMZ reports.

Woods was injured on February 23 when the vehicle he was driving crashed into a median, rolled over and ended up on its side near a steep road known for crashes.

The 45-year-old was cleared of drug or alcohol impairment after police officers at the scene said there was no evidence he was under the influence of either.

Police obtained a search warrant for the black box of the SUV Woods was driving, showing Woods had no memory of driving a car or the crash whatsoever when he awoke in the driver's seat.

The documents, obtained by CNN, noted Woods told officers he had "no recollection" of the incident.

"The deputies asked him how the collision occurred. Driver said he did not know and did not even remember driving," the affidavit read.

"Driver was treated for his injuries at the hospital and was asked there again how the collision occurred.

"He repeated that he did not know and did not remember driving."

Tiger Woods' car, pictured here being removed from the crash site.
Tiger Woods crashed his SUV while driving in the Los Angeles area. (Photo by David McNew/Getty Images)

Tiger Woods leaves hospital after three weeks

On Tuesday, Woods returned to his home in Florida to continue his recovery from career-threatening leg injuries suffered in the single-vehicle crash.

"Happy to report that I am back home and continuing my recovery," Woods said in a tweet posted on Tuesday night.

"I am so grateful for the outpouring of support and encouragement that I have received over the past few weeks."

Woods had a lengthy surgery at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center for shattered tibia and fibula bones of his lower right leg in multiple locations.

Those were stabilised with a rod in his tibia. Additional injuries to the bones in his foot and ankle required screws and pins.

He was then transferred to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center for follow-up procedures.

Woods thanked the medical staff at both hospitals.

"You have all taken such great care of me and I cannot thank you enough," he said in the statement.

"I will be recovering at home and working on getting stronger every day."

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting