Rafa Nadal's stunning confession about French Open defence

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·3-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Rafa Nadal ties his headband ready for tennis training.
Rafa Nadal has admitted this could be one of his hardest French Open campaigns due to the different conditions. (Getty Images)

Rafa Nadal will look to continue his Paris love affair when he begins the defence of his French Open title and his quest for a record-equalling 20th Grand Slam against Belarusian Egor Gerasimov on Monday.

Nadal needs seven victories to bring up a century of wins at Roland Garros and collect a record-extending 13th title but the Spaniard knows he will face unprecedented tests over the next two weeks hitting an unfamiliar heavy ball in the biting cold.

‘YOU ARE JOKING’: Uproar over 'ridiculous' French Open farce

'IT’S WEIRD’: Serena Williams speaks out amid French Open furore

"Conditions here probably are the most difficult for me ever in Roland Garros for so many different facts," Nadal, seeded second behind world number one Novak Djokovic, told reporters.

"I'm just staying positive knowing that the conditions are not perfect for me - maybe not perfect for others, either - and (accepting) that I am going to need my best version to have a chance."

Another major challenge for Nadal may be his lack of match practice, having played just three matches on clay since the 2019 French Open.

The Spaniard was far from his best in Rome as he suffered a shock quarter-final defeat to Diego Schwartzman last week, with chilly conditions again playing a crucial role.

The new retractable roof on Court Philippe Chatrier might offer some respite for Nadal if weather conditions turn out to be too bad.

The 34-year-old, however, would still start as an overwhelming favourite in any conditions against Gerasimov, who is making his main draw debut at Roland Garros.

"The preparations have been less than usual," Nadal said.

"But you know what? I am here to fight and to play with the highest intensity possible, to practice with the right attitude, to give (myself) a chance. That's the main goal for me."

Nadal slams ‘dangerous’ conditions

To add to a list of changes, Roland Garros has switched to Wilson balls for the 2020 tournament after using Babolat for many years.

But 12-times champion Nadal was less than impressed with the change.

While the decision to change the ball was already known, Nadal felt the prevailing conditions had an even bigger impact.

He also claimed the change was “dangerous” on the players’ bodies.

"I practised with the balls in Mallorca," said the Spaniard. "In Mallorca with warm conditions, the ball was very slow, I think (it's) not a good ball to play on clay, honestly. That is my personal opinion.

"Even with these conditions it makes things tougher. But I knew before arriving here. So no problem at all. Just accept the challenge.

"(But) I really believe that the organisation need to take a look at that for the next couple of years, for the health of the players too, because the ball is super heavy. (It) becomes dangerous for the elbow and for the shoulders, I think."

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting