Roger Federer has shocked fans after announcing he might withdraw from the French Open after feeling pain in his knee during his tight victory over Dominik Koepfer.
Federer appeared in his first ever night match at Roland Garros - which prompted outrage from fans - in front of an empty stadium on Philippe Chatrier stadium.
'ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS': Rafa Nadal act sends fans into meltdown
The 39-year-old appeared uncomfortable at times as he battled past Koepfer 7-6, 6-7, 7-6, 7-5, which the commentator described as a 'Houdini' act from Federer.
But, the 20-time Grand Slam champ announced after the match he might not be able to back it up in the Fourth Round.
"I don't know if I am going to play," said Federer, who is just two months shy of his 40th birthday and is due to play Italy's Matteo Berrettini in Monday's Fourth Round.
"I have to decide whether or not to continue playing. Is it too risky to keep putting pressure on the knee? Is it a good time to rest?"
Federer assessing Wimbledon charge
The 20-time Grand Slam title winner, who underwent two knee surgeries in 2020, and is playing only his third tournament since last year's Australian Open, has always said Wimbledon is his priority this year.
He is chasing a ninth title at Wimbledon which starts on June 28.
He is also scheduled to play the warm-up grass court tournament in Halle beginning on June 14, the day after the French Open ends.
"Every match I have to reassess the situation and see the next morning in what state I wake up and how my knee is doing," added Federer after being on court for 3 hours and 35 minutes.
"It may be even more true after a match as long as the one tonight."
Watch 'Mind Games', the new series from Yahoo Sport Australia exploring the often brutal mental toil elite athletes go through in pursuit of greatness:
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.