Formula One fans erupt over Sebastian Vettel's new look

Chris Young
·Sports Reporter
·3-min read
Formula One driver Sebastian Vettel's striking new short hair-do prompted quite a fuss among motorsport fans. Picture: Twitter/Aston Martin
Formula One driver Sebastian Vettel's striking new short hair-do prompted quite a fuss among motorsport fans. Picture: Twitter/Aston Martin

Four-time Formula One champion Sebastian Vettel has turned heads with a remarkable new look that has taken fans by surprise.

Vettel sported a much shorter haircut than what he had before switching from Ferrari to the newly-renamed Aston Martin outfit.

‘LAWYERS ARE WORKING': Mercedes drop Lewis Hamilton contract 'curveball'

NASTY: Aussie Dakar Rally champion in hospital after crash

The former Red Bull and Ferrari driver’s embrace of the new look was revealed when Aston Martin posted photos from his seat fitting ahead of the 2021 season, which gets underway in Bahrain on March 28.

Plenty of gobsmacked racing fans flooded to social media to discuss Vettel’s striking new appearance.

Vettel will be hoping to use is first season with Aston Martin to bounce back from a disappointing final campaign with Ferrari, which saw him easily outclassed by teammate Charles LeClerc.

Aston Martin, the renamed Racing Point team that earned fourth place in the 2020 constructors’ championship, farewelled veteran Sergio Perez in order to accomodate Vettel next to incumbent teammate Lance Stroll.

Vettel claimed just one podium in 2020, and will be hoping to make more regular trips there in 2021 with his new team.

Monaco says F1 Grand Prix will go ahead

Formula One's Monaco Grand Prix will go ahead this season, organisers have said in response to speculation the showcase race could be scrapped.

The harbourside race, traditionally a glamour highlight of the year, is scheduled for May 23 as the fifth round on a calendar that was tweaked earlier this month due to the continuing spread of the virus.

In a Twitter post on Monday, the Automobile Club de Monaco confirmed the race would go ahead, "despite the latest rumours".

The Historic Grand Prix for classic F1 cars was also confirmed for April 23-25 and the all-electric Formula E race on May 8.

Formula One's 2020 season was postponed and then reduced to 17 races, mostly behind closed doors.

Several races were cancelled, including the Monaco and Australian events.

With the pandemic flaring again and more contagious new variants emerging, countries have imposed tighter travel restrictions.

Australia, the usual season-opener in Melbourne in March, has been postponed to November due to the current quarantine requirements, while China's race in Shanghai remains uncertain.

But Formula One dismissed speculation at the weekend that races at street circuits like Monaco were set to be cancelled.

"We have set out the details of the revised 2021 calendar and there are no other changes," a spokesman said.

Saudi Arabia is due to debut this year with a floodlit street race in Jeddah in December.

With AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.