Sarah Crilly scores winner for Scotland against Norway after being picked from the crowd

Yahoo!7 September 6, 2012, 10:51 am

You're a face in the crowd, and the coach of the national team needs you to play. Not only do you play, you score a magnificent goal.

It sounds like something out of a fairytale, but for 20-year-old Sarah Crilly it became a reality when she ended up playing an international friendly for Scotland.

The team was going through an injury crisis in their match against Norway at East End Park in Dunfermline when Crilly was tapped on the shoulder at half-time while queuing for a hot drink.

Crilly had helped out at the national team's traning session the day before, and plays for Hamilton Ladies.

"I was standing with all my friends waiting on a cup of tea when the team administrator came up and asked if I had my boots with me. I didn't," Sarah told The Scottish Sun.

"So she took me to the changing rooms, and got me kitted out."

At that stage, Crilly was just going to sit on the bench as emergency cover but she found herself on the pitch with 28 minutes to go after Rhonda James succumbed to injury.

"I was there for a day out with my pals — next thing I know I'm stepping on the park. It was crazy," Crilly said.

"I couldn't believe it when I scored. It was incredible."

The fairy tale was completed with Scotland trailing 2-1 five minutes from time. Crilly latched on to her opportunity and levelled the match against Norway.

In normal circumstances, Crilly would have had to be registered before the match to play but because it was a friendly the referee gave it the green light.

And after her performance, she now has a shot at the national team outright. Scotland boss Anna Signeul said that he was "very pleased with her".

1. Steve04:41pm Thursday 06th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Lets see the video of it Plz. surely It was recorded?

2. nguyen04:32pm Thursday 06th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

so much face in the crowd ... she trained with the national side what a load of #$%$

3. Mitroteam04:19pm Thursday 06th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Scotland boss Anna Signeul said that he was "very pleased with her". Anna is a MAN???

4. Rob03:56pm Thursday 06th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Hey Beady Labors going to GO, #$%$ #$%$ #$%$ and the reign of King Tony the Wonderful will begin and all the little softcock labor supporters like you are going to be crying for election after election because all the Libs will need to say is remember the last labor govt and they'll get re-elected again term after term after term and it's so funny because you will come back with all your loser #$%$ but everybody knows that you know their gone, finito, through, down and out, their vermin and King Tony the Pest Exterminator is on the way, their screwed, finished, doomed, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

5. ben7203:54pm Thursday 06th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

after reading this story it doesn't sound true. it sounds a little like Karl Pilkington's Monkey News. replace Sarah Crilly with a 4 ft man wearing a hat and a trench coat with really long arms. then at the end of the match this man was rewarded with bananas for scoring the goal. he then was picked up to play for liverpool f.c. only for them to find out he's a monkey.

6. Matty S03:42pm Thursday 06th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Clive finally achieved something congrats, probably paid off the life saving officials. We need more taxes on these rich f wits.

7. Marcel03:37pm Thursday 06th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Scotland boss Anna Signeul said that he was "very pleased with her". that doesnt look male name at all!!!

8. The Skud03:01pm Thursday 06th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

What a strange bunch of comments below ... I thought at least one would comment on a soccer story!

9. 02:54pm Thursday 06th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Well there you have it,Imbecile comments from Imbecile LIARbrals!!..funny how they all hide now.

10. Robert02:40pm Thursday 06th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

The usual 2 fuckwits are at it again!

Scores